• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mixed feelings about my rabbits - U/D - HAPPY AND STRESSFREE

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Does anyone get this - having to medicate 9 rabbits daily for a month is beginning to do my head in - everynight its the same struggle with 2 out of our 9 buns being very easy, then ranging from not too bad to downright impossible and the impossible one being Bobo who really does need treatment.

It takes two of us - and Bobo is honestly a beast and thrashes around like you wouldn't believe (and that is just trying to put him into a bunny burrito) and I am terrified he is going to hurt himself and the fear is making me angry at him although I would never ever show that anger at him - but the wall has taken a few punches.

Both hubby and I are feeling such failures - yes, somehow we are getting the meds in but in the process the buns are getting scared of us, and we are beginning to resent them and the pleasure in having them is waning. Hubby and I are taking our frustrations out on each other now which does not help the stress factor either - and hubby has blurted out 'I hate those 'bleeping' rabbits'. I know he doesn't - nor do I - but at that moment in time....

And yet- I am sitting here at work, worrying again about them and dreading going home to start the whole drama again - and I miss them and just want to be with them and reassure them that mummy and daddy haven't turned into nasty rabbit-eating monsters. I do love them so much - but the whole meds giving issue is really making me think if we should even have rabbits if we find this part of it so flaming stressful.

No point to this really - just feeling a bit useless, and tearful about the whole thing. We are already 1/2 way through the first week so it will go quickly enough - after that, all depends on if Bobo gets the all clear on the EC.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you and hubby are going through this. At the end of the day you are only human, having one bun to medicate can be hard enough, 9 must be a nightmare, no wonder you are tired and frustrated ! Try not to beat yourselves up over this, easy to say I know, your are doing the best for your buns, and obviously love them a lot. Xx

Is there any way the medication process could be made easier? When I have to medicate I usually make a pellet mush with some dried herbs, and mix the meds into that, and haven't had a bunny refuse it yet *touchwood*

Then it would just be a case of preparing 9 dishes and seperating whilst they ate?

I can't really offer any advice as I've only ever had to medicate my two and mostly Milo. But I can completely understand the frustration, medicating just Milo when he had stasis was hard enough, and he's pretty well behaved!

I have already questioned if once Milo and Finn leave us *touch wood not for a long time yet* if I can have more rabbits. I would love to, but caring for them is stressful even without illness complicating things *hugs* xx

Is there any way the medication process could be made easier? When I have to medicate I usually make a pellet mush with some dried herbs, and mix the meds into that, and haven't had a bunny refuse it yet *touchwood*

Then it would just be a case of preparing 9 dishes and seperating whilst they ate?

I am very tempted to be honest - have always had a disapproving look from vets when I asked if I can do this as they think the buns don't get all the meds in them that way - but then again the vets aren't the ones struggling each day. I have been trying to do it properly but ....

Certainly may try this tonight with the piggy buns who eat anything...and Bobo is one of them so definitley worth it with him. Even if we cut down our daily fights, then it's something.

Thank you for mentioning that - I did want to try that method but was always made to feel wrong doing it.

I'm surprised they looked at you disapprovingly. When they had Doughnut in for a week and I called the nurse said about her being a pickle taking meds. I said I put it on a bit of Weetabix if she doesn't like it so the nurse did that and said it worked a treat the following day.

I would certainly make it as stress free as possible. When I was trying to get Doughnut and she was running away from me I felt really upset and that I'd lost a good bond which I'd built up but it does come back and giving her her Weetabix strengthened the bond again since she loved it :)

I'm surprised they looked at you disapprovingly. When they had Doughnut in for a week and I called the nurse said about her being a pickle taking meds. I said I put it on a bit of Weetabix if she doesn't like it so the nurse did that and said it worked a treat the following day.

I would certainly make it as stress free as possible. When I was trying to get Doughnut and she was running away from me I felt really upset and that I'd lost a good bond which I'd built up but it does come back and giving her her Weetabix strengthened the bond again since she loved it :)

It wasn't Trinity - but Park Vets where I used to go before we moved to Maidstone - but it was a look that made me feel 1 inch high :cry:

I have given Sheldon meds before on weetabix - lost the tip of my thumb in the process :lol::lol::lol: so I will try Bobo with a bit tonight and Sheldon can have his meds on weetabix too - he'll be in heaven :love: (when I told the Park Vets this - it was when I got the look of disdain)

And then I will try with the others.

I made bunny bikkies too which they love - and those absorb water easily enough so might be good for meds too - and it's a healthy way too.

Thank you so much - I really did believe I couldn't use food but must do it properly - has taken a load off my mind :D

I think this is the worst part of having bunnies, I really dislike trying to medicate them and it should be made much easier. I am much happier cleaning them out. On the "bright" side, a month will soon pass :thumb:

Mark knows I've used food in the past and he's never said don't do it. Especially since the nurses do! They certainly get the meds through Weetabix, everything is licked up :)

anything to make it easier on you and less stressful to for both you your oh and the rabbits that are hard to medicate, I to would try mixing in their favourite treat

I think I mentioned before that I used postage stamp sized bits of toast. It was enough to absorb the meds but not enough that it could be stolen by another rabbit. They were waiting eagerly for me each evening and there was no stress for them (or me!).

YAY....SUCCESS :D:D:D

All buns - except Harley and Holly - happily ate their meds off pieces of weetabix and bunny bikkies. Bug in particular thought she had gone to heaven - she has been on such a restrictive diet recently due to excess cecals poor thing. Not worrying about excess cecals for the next few weeks - more important that they get meds down them.

Was so pleased with Bobo - he gets a large dose of levacide and 2.7mls of Baytril - both of which tastes awful - but he ate it all without a problem :D

Oh the relief - and what a lovely stress free night it was:D:D:D

Harley wouldn't touch anything with the meds on - but she is one of the easy ones to medicate anyway - and as she hates me already, it's not an issue. It's so quickly done - catch her, onto the bed and hold her whilst hubby squirts the meds in - and she only gets 0.13mls of the stuff anyway so it's over and done with in minutes...and a few thumps :love:

Holly - did eat some of the meds - not all - but as long as she is getting something down her, I'm happy.

My bathroom is now the food and meds room - bags of favourite treats, packs of weetabix, syringes, bottles of meds - and the all important sheet of dosages for each rabbit :lol:

That silly vet at Park Vets - she really did mess with my head - but all is clear again now - so thank you everyone :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Yay I love Weetabix! I have it in mainly for Doughnut if she needs baytril. I've found the other meds don't disguise it, the only thing I could mix it with was infracol and then she took it from the syringe.

Bet you've gone from a zero to a hero in their eyes now :)

The Weetabix is a great tip! I am glad it was a much easier for you. It is so stressful trying to medicate bunnies who do anything they can to resist it. I can only ever really do meds on food with mine, so will give Weetabix a go!

Back