• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please... No judging

aimz84

Young Bun
Hi, PLEASE READ FULL POST BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME!!!

I haven't had my doe long and turns out she was pregnant and we have had a litter of 3 babies on 20/9/15.

When we got the doe we were told she'd had a litter before, and now we are the grandparents to 3 gorgeous hairless creatures. who are all healthy and wriggling well.

All of our animals are rescues rabbits and cats. I have had all sorts of pets in the past ranging from mice/fish to horses. Have always owned rabbits and guinea pigs, but it has been a while since I have had a doe unexpectedly be pregnant, over 20 years.
The plan was once we moved house and she's settled in a few days get used to her new surroundings as the move from her old house to ours would have been stressful enough, I was going to get her spayed and then this happened.

I am after some advice on when I can start handling the babies, when will they get their fur, how old til they can be sexed etc.
She is letting me get closer to them each day, she's allowing me to go into her nest and have a look, which is good as means she trusts me enough. She just carries on eating. I don't want to touch them yet though as I've heard they can reject them.
She is a great mum and is obviously feeding them as they are moving well and look healthy from what I can see without touching.
I know its only been 2 days but I check on them at least twice a day and she's happy for me to go in the nest.

If anyone can help I would be truly grateful.
Thanks
Aimz x

Thank you dizzyg.

I've asked on a different forum on facebook before and the people on there were very judgemental and saying 'you should get her spayed' etc and it really put me off, they were very rude and I've heard that this website was a good place :) x

Hi and welcome to the forum.

All I can do is wish you luck and ask you to post pictures as we all love to see pictures especially of baby bunnies as they are ridiculously cute (once they have fur and are mobile!) :)

Well good on you for taking her on I say. I can't advise as I've never had a bun with kits, but you will find plenty of help on here. Good luck with mum and babies x

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all the help and kind words.
I will keepyou posted on their progress. Mum is amazing and I can't believe how calm she is with me having a nose.

I remember when I first saw them, my hubby noticed blood in the open section of her hutch so I had a look when I got home from work. She must have given birth that side and carried them into the nest as the nest is immaculately clean.

After talking to her and making sure babies were ok, I could see a sparkle in her eyes that I had never seen before. I am so proud, she did so well, bless her. I'm a proud grandma :) lol!

Thank you dizzyg.

I've asked on a different forum on facebook before and the people on there were very judgemental and saying 'you should get her spayed' etc and it really put me off, they were very rude and I've heard that this website was a good place :) x

But...she was pregnant when you got her!?! How were you supposed to know? Accidents happen, and it sounds like she's with a lovely owner. Congratulations on becoming Granbunma!

Oh bless! I'm glad she's in safe hands :)

Yes, we await photos once the kits are big enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww how lovely babies and no guilt!!! Enjoy.

Have you mentioned this 'oversight' to the people that you got her from?! They may have suspected that she was pregnant but who knows.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your kind words.
Mum and babies look like they're doing well so far, I know its only been a few days.
xx

Aww how lovely babies and no guilt!!! Enjoy.

Have you mentioned this 'oversight' to the people that you got her from?! They may have suspected that she was pregnant but who knows.

No I haven't. The woman I got her from, was the same woman I got my guinea pigs from over 6 years ago. And the condition my piggies were in were not perfect, conditions had improved when picked Bella up though, but still wouldn't want her to know about it, in case she starts anything eg, wanting half money for them as she was her rabbit etc.

I'm happy with my girl, and wouldn't change her for the world. x

Oh bless! I'm glad she's in safe hands :)

Yes, we await photos once the kits are big enough

Thankyou. I always rescue when I can, I hate the thought of animals not getting a loving home because of breeders. Trust me, I wouldn't have let her get pregnant lol!

Unfortunately, I do have to give the babies up but the good thing is I know a couple of lovely people at work that have always had rabbits, soI know they will be looked after and loved. :) x

Should I keep mum in hutch with babies until they are old enough to leave her? Or can I pu4 her in her run if she wants to get out. ?

How could anyone judge you when you're asking a question?! That's horrid if they do!!

My old bunny (Petra's mum) unexpectedly became pregnant just before we had the dad spayed when he was old enough. Then we had Petra and another bunny who unfortunately died.

Tallulah (the mum) let me handle them from the minute that they were born. The vet told me to check on them every so often and make sure they're ok. I handled them briefly about once a day and it never did any harm. Xx

I rescued a doe who gave birth to 7 babies two weeks after I had her, and it was such a shock! I checked on them daily and the mum was ok with that, all she wanted was to run around the enclosure and ignored them most of the day. They all survived, were handled a lot once their eyes were open. I found lovely homes for 4 of them when they were 9 months old (all neutered) and I have kept the mum, 1 boy and 2 girls and they all get on very well.

Bella has been amazing, she has let me peek at them. I've got a couple of photos but not great ones, as they're starting to popcorn (its like having a jack in the box) when I peek in now, I have had my first touch today though. But I've been getting closer and closer to them each day, and I think I will be handling them soon. Bells has been really good and isn't bothered about me going in the nest. She just sits and eats, think she enjoys the time away lol!!

Will have to upload picture from phone (if it works)!!

I can't post a picture, it doesn't have an option to add picture via gallery, only url. Pants ...

Back