• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear polyps

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: So, a new bunny in has ear polyps :shock: Not come across those before! It's looking a little sore and clearly bothering him as he shakes his head a lot - and of course we don't know what lurks beneath. Vet is suggesting ear canal resection, removing them as it's done, although there's no guarantee they won't grow back. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this and if so, what was done and what was the outcome?

And if you don't have any experience of this...here's some photos.

IMG_8504_zpsfwrbbvdb.jpg

IMG_8503_zpstsdjvbhp.jpg

Last edited:
:wave: So, a new bunny in has ear polyps :shock: Not come across those before! It's looking a little sore and clearly bothering him as he shakes his head a lot - and of course we don't know what lurks beneath. Vet is suggesting ear canal resection, removing them as it's done, although there's no guarantee they won't grow back. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this and if so, what was done and what was the outcome?

IMG_8504_zpsfwrbbvdb.jpg

IMG_8503_zpstsdjvbhp.jpg

I haven't seen that before, but he's a good little bun that allows you to open his ears for photos :love:

IMG_8504_zpsfwrbbvdb.jpg

IMG_8503_zpstsdjvbhp.jpg

Yes, Morse had them, apparently they can be viral in origin. So they frequently do grow back if removed and/or more emerge at a different site. Other Rabbits kept in close proximity can be effected if the 'polyps' are viral in origin. A few of my Rabbits were. Some of mine have been found to have the Oral Papilloma Virus and whilst I dont think it is common for papillomas to occur in the outer ear I think it can happen.

Morse, Jessica, Colin, Lydia and Liam (all Lops) had the lesions removed from their ears but they all grew back. For all but Morse we decided to leave the lesions alone after that as they were not painful and they were not causing any problems. But Morse's was in a position that made his already 'bad' ears even harder to manage. So he had the lesions removed when he needed a GA for other 'ear work'.

Enya has Oral Papillomas which are tiny and not bothering her. So again we are leaving them alone. Jessica had the virus too and she had them removed during her last 2 Dentals.

Thanks Jane - interesting to hear that it can be viral in origin, I wonder if this one's are. I suppose at least down the ear canal they're less likely to be transmitted by direct contact, possibly. He's on his own and not that near to other bunnies for now anyway. He's a helicopter lop and the polyps are in his mostly 'down' ear which points at a flappy slightly-down angle most of the time rather than a full lop. This little lad is definitely bothered by then so for him I do think we need to at least try, and see if they come back/how quickly. Interesting to hear other experiences, thanks :D

Thanks Jane - interesting to hear that it can be viral in origin, I wonder if this one's are. I suppose at least down the ear canal they're less likely to be transmitted by direct contact, possibly. He's on his own and not that near to other bunnies for now anyway. He's a helicopter lop and the polyps are in his mostly 'down' ear which points at a flappy slightly-down angle most of the time rather than a full lop. This little lad is definitely bothered by then so for him I do think we need to at least try, and see if they come back/how quickly. Interesting to hear other experiences, thanks :D

It may be that what is going on behind the polyps-ie deeper in the ear canal- is what is bothering Bun rather than the polyps themselves. But given their exact location, just about where some of Morse's were in his ear, the polyps do need to go. I hope there is a good outcome for you latest Invisibun xx

Just a quick update on this little one - it took far longer to get to the point of having the polyp removed than anticipated, as he's had a number of other tests and diagnostics first including for liver function and heart. In the meantime, the lovely William Lewis has joined my usual vet's practice (whooppeeee!) so once everything else had been reviewed, he did the op yesterday. The polyp was not attached by much so he managed to just snip it off rather than have to do the full resection, and everything below it in the ear looked fine. So now we just wait and see if it grows back, and if so how quickly! He's still a bit grumpy at having had a GA and a night in a cage, but hopefully he'll start to feel much happier without that annoying polyp wobbling around in his ear :D

Just a quick update on this little one - it took far longer to get to the point of having the polyp removed than anticipated, as he's had a number of other tests and diagnostics first including for liver function and heart. In the meantime, the lovely William Lewis has joined my usual vet's practice (whooppeeee!) so once everything else had been reviewed, he did the op yesterday. The polyp was not attached by much so he managed to just snip it off rather than have to do the full resection, and everything below it in the ear looked fine. So now we just wait and see if it grows back, and if so how quickly! He's still a bit grumpy at having had a GA and a night in a cage, but hopefully he'll start to feel much happier without that annoying polyp wobbling around in his ear :D

Oh great news ! Both about the Polyp and William !!

Happy New Year, BTW :D

Oh wow, and William too!

You are double lucky!

Back