• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is considered too thin?

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Tonight I've noticed that Fiver seems to have lost some weight recently. He is blowing his coat so I thought perhaps that could be why, but as he stretched out to take a piece of kale from me while I was cleaning his habitat out this evening he looks way thinner than I thought he was. :(

phone%252520pix%252520and%252520vids%252520to%2525209-19-15%252520101.jpg

phone%252520pix%252520and%252520vids%252520to%2525209-19-15%252520102.jpg

He is eating and pooping well, although I do notice he seems a bit more creaky than usual. As we're starting to get colder here and snow is on the way, I figured his increased appetite, water consumption and general condition might be due to the change of seasons working on his 7-8 year old frame, but now I'm a bit worried it might be something more.
I do not have a scale I can weigh him on, just the scale I use for myself which I could hold him, take a reading and then weigh myself and subtract the numbers but that's not really accurate.
I don't think you can feel bones on him, but he hates being handled so I can't really get a good feel and he's been a lot more jumpy than normally for him lately. He has also been grooming his dewlap quite a bit, last month he almost made it bald but when I was going to take him in to see if it's a tooth thing, it grew back because he'd left it alone. Figured I should mention it though.

He is eating a second cut timothy hay right now with gusto, so I really don't think it's his teeth, in fact he empties his basket each day...his water dish was empty last evening and he doesn't usually drink the whole thing, and I do notice he's not at his water bottle as much.

He gets 0.3 mls metacam twice a day with a tiny piece of kale to help the medicine go down (even though he loves his metacam) and I have noticed no real digestive upset on him barring he has a very gurgly tummy, but it is pretty much always like that.

Could anyone advise, please? I know I've got to have him evaluated by a vet, but if anyone could help me with approximately what we may be looking for that would be a plus. :)

Gosh I wish the pets could give me a break! Just one month without any illnesses or worries of illness would be ace! :roll:
Many thankies in advance. xxxxx

He's certainly not underweight at the moment. Older Rabbits do change body shape and they can lose muscle mass/tone. It would be useful to be able to actually weigh him as appearances can be deceptive. An actual record of weight monitored regularly is the best way forward. I usually work on the principle that I weigh the Rabbit every other day and if there are three consecutive losses with no obvious reason why then a Vet check is needed.

As he looks now I'd say he is at a weight that is healthy. Rexes can become overweight very easily as they are usually so greedy. Being overweight is far more detrimental to a Rabbit's health than is being on the slender side.

This link may be useful

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp

The only thing that would make alarm bells ring a bit would be if the perceived weightloss, (with no reduction in appetite) were to be accompanied by an increase in water consumption.

I think it would help you to be able to have a means of weighing him (and the others) as then you will know for certain if any of them are losing weight.

Tonight I've noticed that Fiver seems to have lost some weight recently. He is blowing his coat so I thought perhaps that could be why, but as he stretched out to take a piece of kale from me while I was cleaning his habitat out this evening he looks way thinner than I thought he was. :(

phone%252520pix%252520and%252520vids%252520to%2525209-19-15%252520101.jpg

phone%252520pix%252520and%252520vids%252520to%2525209-19-15%252520102.jpg

He is eating and pooping well, although I do notice he seems a bit more creaky than usual. As we're starting to get colder here and snow is on the way, I figured his increased appetite, water consumption and general condition might be due to the change of seasons working on his 7-8 year old frame, but now I'm a bit worried it might be something more.
I do not have a scale I can weigh him on, just the scale I use for myself which I could hold him, take a reading and then weigh myself and subtract the numbers but that's not really accurate.
I don't think you can feel bones on him, but he hates being handled so I can't really get a good feel and he's been a lot more jumpy than normally for him lately. He has also been grooming his dewlap quite a bit, last month he almost made it bald but when I was going to take him in to see if it's a tooth thing, it grew back because he'd left it alone. Figured I should mention it though.

He is eating a second cut timothy hay right now with gusto, so I really don't think it's his teeth, in fact he empties his basket each day...his water dish was empty last evening and he doesn't usually drink the whole thing, and I do notice he's not at his water bottle as much.

He gets 0.3 mls metacam twice a day with a tiny piece of kale to help the medicine go down (even though he loves his metacam) and I have noticed no real digestive upset on him barring he has a very gurgly tummy, but it is pretty much always like that.

Could anyone advise, please? I know I've got to have him evaluated by a vet, but if anyone could help me with approximately what we may be looking for that would be a plus. :)

Gosh I wish the pets could give me a break! Just one month without any illnesses or worries of illness would be ace! :roll:
Many thankies in advance. xxxxx

From those photos, he doesn't look really underweight to me MM :)

Also, feeling the bones of a rabbit is a good test, particularly at their back end. I find females can carry more weight underneath and be bony on top, but in males it's more evenly distributed.

Can you buy a set of baby weighing scales?

Thanks, Jane and MightyMax :)
I know I need to get some scales for the little pets. Especially as most of them are all seniors and watching their weight is just a good idea at this point.
I was hoping I was just seeing things. Of course the pictures didn't come out as well as I'd hoped they would, but they give a good idea. Fiver is currently tearing at his hay in his basket and eating as if the world is ending. :roll: So perhaps his higher water consumption is due to how dry it is at the moment. Even though we've had rain our relative humidity is abysmal and I am also feeling more thirsty than I normally would be.

He did use to be a little butterball though. :lol: I think at his heaviest he was on par with Mimzy who is around 3 pounds, give or take. It is really hard to get hold of him for anything from weighing to trimming nails as he hates being picked up, however once you have him he just settles back and enjoys the ride. Weird bun.

Thank you so much for your input and I'll check that link out. :) I feel a bit more at ease, so at least I won't be up all night worrying. ;) xxxx

ETA: Goodness, that overhead view of the overweight rabbit looks like Pip from above! :shock: Although I doubt she is overweight, but she's a hefty thing, being part meat rabbit. (And no one tell her I said that!) :lol:

Can you weigh him in a carrier, then subtract weight of that ? I do this with mine, a treat in the carrier usually keeps them there long enough to get a reading.

Back