• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would rescues allow buns to be rehomed to flats?

Hi all

It's been almost three weeks since Scrappy went to the Bridge and although I don't feel ready yet to get any more rabbits I'm thinking that at some point in the future I would like to rehome a bonded pair from a rescue. I guess I feel that I can't ignore the fact that so many rabbits are in desperate need of a forever home and Scrappy taught me so much about bunnies with her long-term health issues, not to mention her very sensitive tummy! that I feel the best tribute to her would be to use that knowledge and experience to help other buns. Plus I've utterly fallen in love with rabbits :love:

I currently live in a ground floor flat. It's quite small so I bunny proofed all of the rooms so she could free range wherever she pleased. I would like to offer the same set up for a rescued pair. However I don't have a garden so they would be indoors all the time. Having looked at the rehoming policy of a few rescues I noticed that a couple have stipulated the importance of allowing rabbits outside space. As I would be unable to provide that would this mean I would have little hope of being a successful candidate for rehoming?

You'd just need to find the right rescue.
It's becoming more and more acceptable to have rabbits as indoor-only pets so I'm sure you'll find somewhere. Many of the rescues on here re-home nationally and members help out with bunny-runs.

When I worked at the RSPCA we would rehomed to flats (and did). The concerning thing was how any owner would cope if the rabbits destroyed any indoor setting and generally required a space just for the rabbits but most people did this and then allowed them wherever (which Is fine). The failure rate walls higher if the rabbits trashed the place and the owner couldn't cope with it- by ensuring a place specifically for the bunnies it reduced this risk. We did regime free range when the bunny/it's were proven inside.

^^What Sky-O said. I rehome to indoor homes and have rehomed both to free range set ups and to ones where the bunnies have a pen or room of their own. I think it's nice if they can go outside but it's not the end of the world if they can't - you just have to be particularly careful with dietary balance as they won't be making vitamin D from sunlight so may need slightly higher calcium to compensate for the lower absorption. As Sky-O said, I prefer the bunnies to have a suitably sized dedicated space with additional free range in the house as a bonus so that if they do turn out to be destruct-o-buns, I am more confident that they're not going to end up being shut in a cage all the time, but to a certain extent it's on a case-by-case basis depending on the rabbits, the owner, the extent of rabbit proofing and whether the owner has had free range house bunnies before and knows what they're letting themselves in for!

I'm in Essex and have a few pairs ready for rehoming so would be happy to chat if you wanted, when you feel ready to offer bunnies a home again.

I'd hope so cos I know from all you did for Scrappy I know you'd give them a great forever home. I think it should be decided on space, inside or out. My first bunny lived in my bedsit with free range everywhere. I never felt I sold her short on space. Outside access is nice but its only relevant half the year anyway.

Good on Scrappy for introducing you to bunny love, I'm glad you are looking to adopt in the near future. It only takes one special bunny to steal our hearts & commit to a lifetime of bunny ownership.

Thanks very much for your replies :wave: When I'm ready to rehome I'll contact a few rescues and explain my circumstances in the first instance so I'd know if they'd be happy to rehome to me. Santa, I will contact you as well :wave:

To be honest I'm not too precious about my furniture getting chewed, pretty much all of it is second hand and I know its in their nature for a lot of rabbits to chew! Although hopefully lots of chew toys will help a bit! My main worry would be their safety, ie keeping wires put of the way and anything else that might be harmful to them if ingested. So I would be very keen for a homecheck so more experienced eyes can check for potential hazards and also to advise which bunnies are likelier to be happy here.

I'd hope so cos I know from all you did for Scrappy I know you'd give them a great forever home. I think it should be decided on space, inside or out. My first bunny lived in my bedsit with free range everywhere. I never felt I sold her short on space. Outside access is nice but its only relevant half the year anyway.

Good on Scrappy for introducing you to bunny love, I'm glad you are looking to adopt in the near future. It only takes one special bunny to steal our hearts & commit to a lifetime of bunny ownership.

Thank you very much for you kind words, I really do appreciate them :)

I think it's lovely that you are considering getting two rescue buns, I'm sure Scrappy would approve and be proud of you xxxx

I have rehomed for several Rescues, and also on behalf of the R.S.P.C.A. The majority of Rescues I've been with have been fine about rehoming just to be house rabbits. It's the quality of the environment and also the care and love they will get that matters.

I don't think the love they will get from you is in question :D

I have rehomed for several Rescues, and also on behalf of the R.S.P.C.A. The majority of Rescues I've been with have been fine about rehoming just to be house rabbits. It's the quality of the environment and also the care and love they will get that matters.

I don't think the love they will get from you is in question :D

Thanks MightyMax, that's really kind of you and it's really helpful to get the perspective of someone with experience in rehoming bunnies. :)

Im really glad you are thinking about getting a bonded pair of bunnys in the future! You will make a fantastic bunny mummy, just as you were before to Scrappy.
Good luck and let us all know when you're ready so we can say hello to the new additions!

Im really glad you are thinking about getting a bonded pair of bunnys in the future! You will make a fantastic bunny mummy, just as you were before to Scrappy.
Good luck and let us all know when you're ready so we can say hello to the new additions!

Thank you PoppyRabbit, that's really kind of you :) I have to admit I have been mooching around the Manor Pet housing website recently....

Back