• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First vegetables

mariposa

Mama Doe
We're going to introduce veg very slowly for our mini lop soon (he's now 3 months old). We'll do things one at a time, small amounts and in the morning initially to keep an eye on poos. Any recommendations for the best veg to start with? I was going to go with spinach as we eat a lot of that, but read in the lists here that it should only be given in moderation. Also thought about herbs but wondered if they might be a bit strong for the first taste?
Thanks as always :wave:

Dark green veg is the best imo, so I always buy Spring Greens as long as they look good. Everyone tends to give various things. Kale is ok in small doses as it's high in Calcium. Dandelion leaves go down very nicely, you can always rinse them first. Long grass is popular. Hope they like whatever you give them :thumb:

herbs tend to be gentler on the tummy so i'd probably start with those first. then move onto any other dark leafy varieties you want to try :)

Thanks Silverleaf! As I understand it, forage involves picking things in the wild - is that right? I certainly need to read up on it a bit more first, but like the sound of it :)
I can definitely look for dandelion leaves. I'm a bit freaked out by what could be on them but as long as I wash them thoroughly I guess it's no different to the pesticides that could be on stuff bought in the supermarket.

Thanks Silverleaf! As I understand it, forage involves picking things in the wild - is that right? I certainly need to read up on it a bit more first, but like the sound of it :)
I can definitely look for dandelion leaves. I'm a bit freaked out by what could be on them but as long as I wash them thoroughly I guess it's no different to the pesticides that could be on stuff bought in the supermarket.

That's right, it's wild plants. I love that it's healthy, tasty and free, and I enjoy the process of collecting it.

Favourites with my boys include hawthorn twigs (remove berries of there are any), beech twigs, apple/pear twigs, willowherb, brambles/raspberry plants (including stems and prickles!), dandelions, plantain, daisies, white clover, willow twigs, hazel twigs... ;)

There are lots of really good plants out there. I recommend picking from somewhere that isn't popular with dog walkers, or collecting stuff that's too high up for dogs to have contaminated.

This book looks really good http://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/, and Tamsin has a page with five plants to get you started. http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2014/06/04/rabbit-safe-weeds/

Most rabbits really like herbs too.

Thank you so much :) All looks great!
We're going to start with basil tomorrow and build from there - will definitely look at forage too :thumb:

Back