• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beano and Gordon have stopped eating pellets again

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
They both had dentals just last Thursday, this was both their only symptoms. Their teeth can't be playing up again so soon can they? :( Should they still be having pain relief (metacam daily) at this point? I stopped giving it after 5 days as was told they shouldn't need it and they were both acting fine and gobbling pellets down. Last night beano didn't have any and now this morning they're both reusing them, beano is eating herbs, forage and crunchies but no hay as yet and Gordon only had a couple of pellets and is refusing everything else. I've given them both metacam and Gordon some emeprid. They did some how steal some treats I was saving for them yesterday which were in the hall, they've had them before (rosewood pots filled with herbs) but I always break them up but they had nearly two full ones, that's the only thing I can think of if its tummy related...

ETA: beano is eating hay now. They only get 1/2 an egg cup of pellets between them twice a day and three types of hay, ings hay, Timothy hay and orchard grass hay as their main diet and have always been good at eating the hay.

Last edited:
They probably left the pellets as they were full up with the Rosewood treats. As long as they both have normal poo output I would not worry too much. Try to always take into account what is coming out poo wise when eating patterns change. What comes out being just as relevant as what goes in when assessing GI tract motility :)

Thank you, I was hoping that could be the case :) Poo's look OK, Gordon's are always a bit darker and smaller than I would like but they are usually that way. Will keep monitoring them.

Thank you, I was hoping that could be the case :) Poo's look OK, Gordon's are always a bit darker and smaller than I would like but they are usually that way. Will keep monitoring them.

It's unusual for bunnies to leave pellets, even if they are getting treats :D

I hope they get back onto eating hay asap. You would think that they wouldn't have any teeth issues after a week. This depends on your vet though, and how the dental was done.

Last edited:
They're still not eating pellets and are slow to eat hay, ie when they used to rush in as soon as fresh went down they just stay sat down and venture in later and don't stay in the trays eating as much as they used to. They are eating the pellets eventually, well I think Gordon might be eating them all, as they are gone by the end of the day but they rush to them as usual when they go down but then look at them for a while and go back to their sleeping spots. Both poos are smaller and darker than usual but there seems plenty of them. Just seems odd :/

Are the pellets still in date not a dodgy batch? If they had a lot of dental work done I found it took mabel abit to get to her hay this time however she is gobbling so much

They are still in date and never had a problem with them before, Jake also eats out the same batch and his don't last 1 minute! :lol: Glad Mabel is eating so soon :)

I didn't give any pellets last night and they weren't bothered unlike before where they'd be chasing each other but this morning I did give them some and they both ate, beano didn't finish them though. My idea was to see if they might just be bores of them so cut down to once a day see if they'll be more keen. Hay intake is getting better...

Hope they are both eating normally soon. I sometimes soften Spenser's pellets for him (with boiled water) if he is a bit off his food. Softened pellets look and smell disgusting, but sometimes it gets Spenser eating again.

Back