• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed rabbit with mammary cancer

Rozzie

New Kit
Hello all,

My 7 1/2 year old female rabbit was diagnosed with mammary cancer yesterday. :( I am struggling to understand how she got this when she was spayed at 5 months - I thought this prevented such cancers? The diagnosis was made via a needle biopsy, it is currently the size of a walnut, she does not appear in any pain and eating/drinking normally. Has anyone experienced mammary cancer with their rabbit at this age and what did you decide to do? I spoke to an experienced rabbit keeper and she said operating could risk its spreading and the anaesthetic could be risky, which I tend to agree with, but with no experience of this in rabbits I am in a constant battle with myself. I am giving her probiotics and a digestive supplement, along with pro fibre in her food. I am also using homeopathy to support digestion and her urinary tract as her urine is slightly sludgy. Someone recommended red clover, has anyone tried this? Sorry to rattle on. Thanks.

Hi - welcome to RU. I'm sorry to hear about your does diagnosis. I've no experience of this but didn't want to 'read and run'. i had always assumed it was just the womb / uterus spaying protected against but I certainly don't know; I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Many well wishes for your bunny

Hello all,

My 7 1/2 year old female rabbit was diagnosed with mammary cancer yesterday. :( I am struggling to understand how she got this when she was spayed at 5 months - I thought this prevented such cancers? The diagnosis was made via a needle biopsy, it is currently the size of a walnut, she does not appear in any pain and eating/drinking normally. Has anyone experienced mammary cancer with their rabbit at this age and what did you decide to do? I spoke to an experienced rabbit keeper and she said operating could risk its spreading and the anaesthetic could be risky, which I tend to agree with, but with no experience of this in rabbits I am in a constant battle with myself. I am giving her probiotics and a digestive supplement, along with pro fibre in her food. I am also using homeopathy to support digestion and her urinary tract as her urine is slightly sludgy. Someone recommended red clover, has anyone tried this? Sorry to rattle on. Thanks.

Hello Rozzie and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny. It's quite a difficult one to treat, and especially as her's seems to have grown a bit. You and she are most unlucky, as it's not at all common in rabbits spayed before 2 years old (as you know).

I wouldn't be worried so much about the anaesthetic in an otherwise healthy doe, but the operation itself could help the cancer to spread, and it's also not always successful.

There's some reading about it here:
http://rabbit.org/tumors-in-rabbits/

As for the red clover, the jury is out on this one. I have heard it recommended in cases of cancer, and also contra-indicated. My own view is it's a good thing. Red Clover is included in the 8 compound formula of Essiac and I believe it's included in the 'Hoxsey' formula, if you know of that.

What homeopathy are you using for her digestion and urinary tract?

Hello all,

Hello

I am sorry to hear about your Doe's recent diagnosis. I did have a Rescue Doe who had mammary tumours, but she was both much younger than your Doe (about 3) and she had not been spayed. My Doe had surgery after blood tests and Xrays (chest) revealed no obvious signs of metastatic disease. My Doe was spayed (a large uterine tumour was found) and she had a total mastectomy. She did go on to make an amazing recovery and lived for another 2.5 years. Her passing was not related to any form of cancer.

Obviously my Doe's circumstances were very different to your Doe's. I guess what I am trying to say is that each case needs to be judged individually. There are so many factors that need to be taken into account. Sometimes the right thing to do is to do nothing, except of course to make sure that the Rabbit remains pain free and happy and I am sure you will always do that.

Homeopathy? There's absolutely no evidence at all that homeopathy works, and plenty that shows it does absolutely nothing. Sounds like a waste of money to me!

I think the reduction of hormones associated with spaying probably reduces the chances of mammary cancer, but doesn't eliminate it. Hope things go well for your doe, whatever you decide to do about surgery.

Homeopathy? There's absolutely no evidence at all that homeopathy works, and plenty that shows it does absolutely nothing. Sounds like a waste of money to me!

I think the reduction of hormones associated with spaying probably reduces the chances of mammary cancer, but doesn't eliminate it. Hope things go well for your doe, whatever you decide to do about surgery.

In part I agree. However, my own view on it all is that as long as any homeopathic/complimentary treatment is given aswell as conventional medical treatment and under the guidance of a Qualified Veterinary Homeopath who liases regularly with the 'conventional Vet' involved in the Rabbit's care then it is really a case of personal choice. Sometimes it can help the care giver to feel more empowered to help if they use additional (complimentary) treatments that they themselves firmly believe will be of benefit. As long as the complimentary treatment can do no harm and will not interfere with the efficacy of conventional treatment then really the only harm done is that to the care givers Bank balance. And as I said, I think it's personal choice as to whether someone wants to spend their money on complimentary treatments.

My real concern is when some people advocate using only homeopathic/alternative treatments instead of conventional ones. People who concoct all sorts of lotions and potions and market them as 'miracle cures' for all diseases known to man (or Rabbits!).

Rozzi, I hope that you find a way forward to help keep your Doe comfortable, do let us know how you are both getting on :)

Homeopathy is one of those things I think that is questionable yet regardless continues and therefore suggests some people must find it useful... a homeopath recommended nux vom. And lycopodium in her water for three days then leave a week and see how she responds. This is for slightly sludgy urine. I have also increased her parsley, though she only likes the curly variety for some reason. The reason I am focusing on this is the less stress her body is under, the better she will be able to cope with the cancer. I am now growing the red clover so hope to start with that in about four days. I did not know about the Hoxsey formula so thank you for that mightymax, will have a read up. Thank you everyone for responding, it does help and as jacks-Jane said it is also empowering to do something, I am nor one for sitting there in a heap of doom, better to get proactive as you never know what will work.

Homeopathy is one of those things I think that is questionable yet regardless continues and therefore suggests some people must find it useful... a homeopath recommended nux vom. And lycopodium in her water for three days then leave a week and see how she responds. This is for slightly sludgy urine. I have also increased her parsley, though she only likes the curly variety for some reason. The reason I am focusing on this is the less stress her body is under, the better she will be able to cope with the cancer. I am now growing the red clover so hope to start with that in about four days. I did not know about the Hoxsey formula so thank you for that mightymax, will have a read up. Thank you everyone for responding, it does help and as jacks-Jane said it is also empowering to do something, I am nor one for sitting there in a heap of doom, better to get proactive as you never know what will work.

The sludgy wee may indicate excess dietary calcium intake. Curly leaf parsley is high in calcium. Perhaps you could try another herb such as coriander ? All my Rabbits would hop across hot coals to get to a sprig of coriander ! Although it is usually hard feed (pellets etc) that provide the most calcium. What pellets do you feed ? Alfalfa is another high calcium source, so I'd avoid Alfalfa hay/forages containing alfalfa and pellets containing alfalfa.

Is the sludgy wee a new development ?

Thank you for letting me know what homeopathy she is taking!

Just a note that parsley is actually high in calcium. Coriander and methi (fenugreek) are not, so are probably better substitutes. However, most of the calcium comes from our water supply, so it may be worth investigating some low calcium bottled water?

I am glad you are open minded about alternative treatments. When the vets give up and don't know what else to suggest, it's good to be enlightened and not close our minds to other possibilities.

I really respect the approach you are taking with your rabbits health. They are very sensitive & spiritual creatures so approaching their care holistically makes sense to me.
Your positive outlook will serve you both well & I agree its got to be worth a try

I am sorry to hear your bunny has been diagnosed with mammary cancer. I'm afraid I have no experience if it, but wanted to send get well wishes xxx

Back