• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

... and now, it looks like Tink has cataracts in both eyes...

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

She has been a bit quieter and seems to not notice when I'm in the room the same at the other rabbits... me entering the room at some (most!) times of day triggers a begging response. Tink has been slower than the others to respond. I did wonder if she was slowing down and have been keeping a bit of an extra eye on her. Today I caught the light reflecting on her eye and realised what is possibly the answer to why she is quieter :cry::cry::cry: I've shone a torch around her eyes and the right eye is really bad, the left looks cloudy. She did seem like she could see me but .... :cry:

Another vets appointment looming. Poor Tinky. She's not even a cuddle bun so this is very, very sad.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

She has been a bit quieter and seems to not notice when I'm in the room the same at the other rabbits... me entering the room at some (most!) times of day triggers a begging response. Tink has been slower than the others to respond. I did wonder if she was slowing down and have been keeping a bit of an extra eye on her. Today I caught the light reflecting on her eye and realised what is possibly the answer to why she is quieter :cry::cry::cry: I've shone a torch around her eyes and the right eye is really bad, the left looks cloudy. She did seem like she could see me but .... :cry:

Another vets appointment looming. Poor Tinky. She's not even a cuddle bun so this is very, very sad.

I have a blind bunny .. she manages awfully well and is incredibly naughty at getting food she shouldn't have. I view it as a part of life and try not to get unduly upset about it. But I understand how you must feel x

It is sad indeed. Vibes for you both. xx

Thank you.

I have a blind bunny .. she manages awfully well and is incredibly naughty at getting food she shouldn't have. I view it as a part of life and try not to get unduly upset about it. But I understand how you must feel x

Yeah, I know, I guess. I just feel so sorry for Tink because of her personality - she's not a relaxed, trusting kind of soul. She probably needs her sight to feel safe moreso than other rabbits.

I know you must feel incredibly sad but my last bunny Maisie also had cataracts for many years and she managed so well. She was an indoor bunny and just seemed to know her way around. If that is what is going on with your love and support am sure she will learn to adapt . xx

Thank you.

Yeah, I know, I guess. I just feel so sorry for Tink because of her personality - she's not a relaxed, trusting kind of soul. She probably needs her sight to feel safe moreso than other rabbits.

Yes, mine neither ..

I think we can project our feelings on to them and then it becomes natural to feel sorry for them. It's probably harder for us than them sometimes ?

Thanks all for the positive outlook encouragement.

Because of what I've read re rapid onset of cataracts and my just wanting to know for sure what this is and that the eyes/Tink herself are otherwise healthy, she will be seeing FHB on Thursday... badly phrased there, ...probably better to say "she has an appointment with"... It will probably just confirm what I think but *if* there is some underlying illness that has caused sudden issue with her eyes I don't want to ignore that possibility.

my lovely Alfred had cataracts in both his eyes and was blind for his latter years, he coped really well, I was just careful to make sure I didn't move anything, and he was fine - still cheeky about wanting food :)

Thanks again for all the reassurance.

So, Tinks' eyes looked healthy apart from the cataracts, no sign or glaucoma or anything else worrying. FHB confirmed that the cataracts were very dense in both eyes so her vision will be very limited.

Given it's rapid onset it's likely to be caused by E Cuniculi so she's having full blood profile and EC test (EC IgG/IgM antibody to be precise), it can tell whether there's active infection. It wasn't essential she had these but it will be useful information for understanding EC/studying etc, so I decided to go ahead with it.

Thanks again for all the reassurance.

So, Tinks' eyes looked healthy apart from the cataracts, no sign or glaucoma or anything else worrying. FHB confirmed that the cataracts were very dense in both eyes so her vision will be very limited.

Given it's rapid onset it's likely to be caused by E Cuniculi so she's having full blood profile and EC test (EC IgG/IgM antibody to be precise), it can tell whether there's active infection. It wasn't essential she had these but it will be useful information for understanding EC/studying etc, so I decided to go ahead with it.

Pleased for Tink & you that her cataracts aren't causing related problems. nice of you to do the additional tests to help bunny kind too

Pleased for Tink & you that her cataracts aren't causing related problems. nice of you to do the additional tests to help bunny kind too

I kind of got a bit swept away with it to be honest, Frances initially said there was no point as it wouldn't make any difference but as the consultation went on she decided it could be possibly useful for Tink but that she would be interested in seeing the results. To be honest, EC is more likely to cause havoc for my rabbits (and everybody else's) than any other single thing I can think of so the more we understand the better, especially if it can lead to prevention some day.

I kind of got a bit swept away with it to be honest, Frances initially said there was no point as it wouldn't make any difference but as the consultation went on she decided it could be possibly useful for Tink but that she would be interested in seeing the results. To be honest, EC is more likely to cause havoc for my rabbits (and everybody else's) than any other single thing I can think of so the more we understand the better, especially if it can lead to prevention some day.

I think it's a good idea to know whether EC has caused the cataracts. I had a bun who developed phacoclastic uveitis and went blind due to E.C. She lived a good long time with it though.

I hope all goes well for Tink :)

Thanks all. Tinky's standard blood results are okay (not sure what she had done but trust they were the relevant and appropriate ones!) the EC ones are in but I don't know what they say yet, although the 'don't give a great deal' apparently. Will find out soon.

and ... Binky has been admitted today as he stopped eating last night. I assumed it to be his spine but there is nothing to indicate that particularly, nor to indicate anything in particular. blood glucose has been normal throughout though. The x-ray showed a really full stomach despite the fact that he'd not eaten for some time. I feel asleep before they were due to get their supper so all he could have had for 12 hours to the point he stopped eating was hay. Weird indeed.

and ... tonight I've noticed that Dinky had drunk full dog bowl of water whilst I was out at work (c6 hours), then I noticed her chin is wet and on closer examination quite sore looking, so guess who will be going to the vets tomorrow. :cry: So that's Tinky, Binky and Dinky in a week - that will confuse their vet.

Thanks all. Tinky's standard blood results are okay (not sure what she had done but trust they were the relevant and appropriate ones!) the EC ones are in but I don't know what they say yet, although the 'don't give a great deal' apparently. Will find out soon.

and ... Binky has been admitted today as he stopped eating last night. I assumed it to be his spine but there is nothing to indicate that particularly, nor to indicate anything in particular. blood glucose has been normal throughout though. The x-ray showed a really full stomach despite the fact that he'd not eaten for some time. I feel asleep before they were due to get their supper so all he could have had for 12 hours to the point he stopped eating was hay. Weird indeed.

and ... tonight I've noticed that Dinky had drunk full dog bowl of water whilst I was out at work (c6 hours), then I noticed her chin is wet and on closer examination quite sore looking, so guess who will be going to the vets tomorrow. :cry: So that's Tinky, Binky and Dinky in a week - that will confuse their vet.

Yes, how did you manage to get the ones with rhyming names?!

I really hope they are going to be OK ... What a worry these buns are!

Yes, how did you manage to get the ones with rhyming names?!
Tinky (Tinkerbell) named by her fosterer; Binky named by me/Mischief & Tinker's Mum/the whole of RU :)shock:) and Dinky - I thought she was a mini Tinky so Dinky just felt appropriate. Does confuse my vet though and I've had a few withering looks over it:oops:

:( Well wishes for all you _inkys. What a week :(. You have kept your diary hidden from them I trust?

I'm really, really hoping they keep my Friday night/Saturday free. It's huge consolation though that we are going in the same direction, just have to over-shoot the venue by 10 minutes to go to the vets so not likely to scupper the day, just potentially my sleep pattern if the start up with something after 5pm on Friday.

Well, I filled Dinky's water bowl when I got in about ? 7.45 and it's empty again. Her chin looks horrible. She has however made a handful of Excel and half a spring green leaf disappear very quickly and she's begging for more. I hope she can see FHB tomorrow as this isn't adding up anything straightforward to me. Thinking about it, it's similar to how Erin presented when she had a jaw abscess *goes off the feel her manky face*

Back