• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ear 'lopping' later in life?!

ImoT

Mama Doe
So i've had Edith since July. I got her from a rescue and she was an 'uppy eared' rabbit. She occasionally would lop one of her ears when she was really relaxed and having nose rubs, but over the last few days I have noticed her left ear is permanently lopped, no matter what she's doing. She is between 2 and 3 years old I believe. Her other ear is still uppy although is leaning a bit more than usual. She is totally fine in herself, her ears look clean and everything, so I don't think she's ill?! Her and Winston both have a health check in the next couple of weeks anyways as part of their pet care plan with the vets. I don't very much care whether she is uppy eared, lopped or has helicopter ears, but i'm just wondering if it's normal for an ear to lop so late in life?!

I have two lionlops and when we first got them at 1 1/2 yrs Odie had 'lop' ears and Zelda's ears were 'uppy' ears. Now at 4yrs Zeldas ears are lop ears and its very difficult to tell between the two!
EDIT: Photos for evidence!
tumblr_nn4ewaNKwh1tirn5fo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ntmyudYJZ41tirn5fo1_540.jpg

Last edited:
Beano's right ear lops occasionally when she's stressed, like car journeys or vets and its only just started doing it... Seems a bit odd but I think its normal!

I have two lionlops and when we first got them at 1 1/2 yrs Odie had 'lop' ears and Zelda's ears were 'uppy' ears. Now at 4yrs Zeldas ears are lop ears and its very difficult to tell between the two!
EDIT: Photos for evidence!
tumblr_nn4ewaNKwh1tirn5fo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ntmyudYJZ41tirn5fo1_540.jpg

Oooh cute Flo :love:

One of my sisters rabbits lopped after one year for about 2 days then went up eared again :D and still is up eared.

We think she had ear ache as she saw the vet after they had gone back up we will never know :roll: she is now nearly 3 hrs old

Oh no now i'm starting to worry there is something wrong with her ear, like ear ache or an stress or something?! I just went into the kitchen and it was uppy again for the first time in a few days! I guess i'll just have to keep an eye on it!

Aww Flo your bunnies are gorgeous, particularly their ears :love:

Theo had one up and one down ear when I got him as a 4 month old. After a few months they were both down and have stayed that way.

Oh no now i'm starting to worry there is something wrong with her ear, like ear ache or an stress or something?! I just went into the kitchen and it was uppy again for the first time in a few days! I guess i'll just have to keep an eye on it!

Aww Flo your bunnies are gorgeous, particularly their ears :love:

If she was stressed or in pain I'm sure you would be able to tell as they usually just seem 'off'. I would just keep an eye on it :)

Rabbits with mixed parentage may have trouble with their ears later in life as the muscles get weaker. It is also more likely to happen while they are ill or very relaxed. It is such a shame as the lower the ears the greater the likelihood of ear infections or head tilt. Sometimes you can see them fighting to keep them up. It is also like a speech impediment for them as they communicate using them.

Last week old Malone who is eight and has never previosly looked the tiniest bit lopped, lopped completely after one of his long time companions died. It must have been his way of mourning! He looked like a completely different rabbit! His ears are back up now so hopefully there will be no detrimental effects. He has two more companions so he is not alone either.

I would get it looked at just in case. My Skye did this, she had no signs of an ear infection but I took her to the vet just in case. She was treated for an ear infection (vet could see symptoms with the special device...) and it was back to normal again th day after treatment. :)

Rabbits with mixed parentage may have trouble with their ears later in life as the muscles get weaker. It is also more likely to happen while they are ill or very relaxed. It is such a shame as the lower the ears the greater the likelihood of ear infections or head tilt. Sometimes you can see them fighting to keep them up. It is also like a speech impediment for them as they communicate using them.

Last week old Malone who is eight and has never previosly looked the tiniest bit lopped, lopped completely after one of his long time companions died. It must have been his way of mourning! He looked like a completely different rabbit! His ears are back up now so hopefully there will be no detrimental effects. He has two more companions so he is not alone either.

Aww that's really sad that it can be like a speech impediment for them. I am a little concerned about the risk of ear/teeth problems if her ears start to lop. I know it's supposed to be cute but I really would just rather she was healthy!

I would get it looked at just in case. My Skye did this, she had no signs of an ear infection but I took her to the vet just in case. She was treated for an ear infection (vet could see symptoms with the special device...) and it was back to normal again th day after treatment. :)

I have them booked in at the vets for their 6 monthly health check in a couple of weeks. The rabbit vet is away so that was earliest I could book it for. I don't trust any other vet!

Back