• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think my new baby lionhead is blind. Is it permanent?

AmyBaby

New Kit
I can't remember if I read it somewhere that when their eyes are opening and they open a little late they can get cloudy eyes but this goes away...

Baby is now 17 days old at 11 days his eyes were very crusty while the siblings were all opening so I wiped his eyes with boiled water (cooled down) the crusts came away and his eye lids seemed a funny shape, although they started to open. Baby seems to get around well enough but doesn't react to movement on the one side (doesn't notice things approaching his face on that side) is this likely to be a side affect of his eyes opening or something worse? I can get pics tomoz to help people to decide. Is he too young to visit the vets?

Cheers in advance

Amy

I'd give your vet a call and explain his symptoms and age. They might suggest something like eye drops now and then a checkup when he's a little older.

Yes, it is definitely necessary to speak with your Vet. 'Nest box eye' can cause permanent damage if any infection which may be present is not treated.
Good luck.

Back