• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!

Soph M

New Kit
I've found what looks like flakey skin on my bunnies ears tonight He's a lion head so a lot of hair where his mane is. I've read up and I know one of the possibilities is due to him molting. What I'm getting off does feel different to normal. Can't find any mites on his skin but haven't checked in his ears yet. Need I be overally worried??

I've found what looks like flakey skin on my bunnies ears tonight He's a lion head so a lot of hair where his mane is. I've read up and I know one of the possibilities is due to him molting. What I'm getting off does feel different to normal. Can't find any mites on his skin but haven't checked in his ears yet. Need I be overally worried??

Hello

It may be that your Bunny does have mites. It is not usually possible to see the mites with the naked eye. It would probably be a good idea to get your Vet to check your Rabbit over, having a good look in his ears using an otoscope. If treated promptly mites are usually relatively easy to resolve.

Thanks :-( he's not scratching and his skin isn't red but I'll take him just incase. He isn't the best at having his ears checked. I have put more anti parasite stuff on him as he was due it. Assuming if Duke has mites my other one will too? Haven't been able to check Simba yet (he's too fast to catch) so will check him in the day light. Duke seems to get more and more things wrong with him as he ages.

Thanks :-( he's not scratching and his skin isn't red but I'll take him just incase. He isn't the best at having his ears checked. I have put more anti parasite stuff on him as he was due it. Assuming if Duke has mites my other one will too? Haven't been able to check Simba yet (he's too fast to catch) so will check him in the day light. Duke seems to get more and more things wrong with him as he ages.

If the problem is mites, then you'll have to treat all the rabbits who live together, at the same time. It's usually a sign of a lowered immune system, so you could consider giving him a herbal supplement like echinacea:

http://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-tincture

You can often see the mites on a rabbit. "Walking dandruff" is the real clue though ..

Checked Simba this morning and he has literally a few flakes (took a while to locate them) so not as many as Duke. I've had bunnies for 9 years (D for 8 & S for 7) and I've never had to deal with mites as they're always covered against everything. Going to ring the vets tomorrow and hopefully see if I can get an appointment.

Back