• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growing veg / herbs for rabbits

Casco

Mama Doe
I would like to grow some veg & herbs for the rabbits but I'm not the best gardener in the world! What would be the easiest things to start with (ie hardest for me to kill off!)? I realise it's probably not the right time of year to be growing things, I do have a decent sized back garden but no planting areas in it so I'll probably only be using pots and planters.

My buns love pansies, so I've just got a few trays of those for over winter. They look pretty in planters, and easy to look after, and the buns love the flowers, leaves and stalks :)

A lot of herbs die down in winter, so spring would be best for starting those, although if you have a window ledge indoors for some pots they might do ok there.

Mine adore Jerusalem artichokes, they aren't fussy about soil and can be grown in big planters, and they're also high in fibre which is great for bunny tummies. JA don't withstand frost so I cut down the foliage about now and dry it. I have a friend on the allotment with a big 'hedge' of them which he lets me take as much as I want of. They are more prolific in the ground but are a nightmare to get rid of if you don't want them anymore! You can plant them during autumn for next year so you can put them in now.

I dry those and brambles for over winter and then use weeds, perennial herbs (fennel, sage, mint, lemon balm and marshmallow) and veg tops (carrots mainly) from my allotment during summer. I've also had success growing all the above in pots. Well, except the weeds and brambles, plenty of those to forage!!

Last edited:
I would like to grow some veg & herbs for the rabbits but I'm not the best gardener in the world! What would be the easiest things to start with (ie hardest for me to kill off!)? I realise it's probably not the right time of year to be growing things, I do have a decent sized back garden but no planting areas in it so I'll probably only be using pots and planters.

Organic wheatgrass can be grown indoors any time of year and it's good for rabbits (and you). I have winter cabbages, kale and Pak Choi coming along for winter feed.

Herbs are best off inside - you can buy them in pots from supermarkets, though I never manage to keep them alive :shock:

I have found it very hard to kill off my cabbages and kale, with the result they keep coming up year after year!

Organic wheatgrass can be grown indoors any time of year and it's good for rabbits (and you). I have winter cabbages, kale and Pak Choi coming along for winter feed.

Herbs are best off inside - you can buy them in pots from supermarkets, though I never manage to keep them alive :shock:

I have found it very hard to kill off my cabbages and kale, with the result they keep coming up year after year!

The problem with supermarket herbs is they are grown jam packed together and under grow lights so they go leggy as well. For longer lasting plants I find it best to get small plants from garden centres or grow from seed. Personally I prefer growing perennial herbs which crop every year, less hassle and I get plenty for my two.

Thank you, a few suggestions there that I wouldn't have immediately thought of. I have got a little tub of supermarket parsley growing on my kitchen windowsill but they don't usually last long!

Back