• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit is sick i can not afford a vet

When he cleans the area by his eyes these pink things comes out of his eyes, then go back in, he is also losing fur on his stomech arms and legs he he has grown some of the fur back, and a couple of his whiskers are bent is that normel, and he also has a wet nose, this has been going on for about 3 or 4 months, he just recently just got the wet nose though, Thanks Ilovemybunnypeter:cry:

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear that your bunny may be poorly but when you take on the responsibility of any animal you have to ensure that you can affort vet bills. I take it that your bunny is not insured either?

Is there no-one who can help you, like a parent (you come across as young; apologies if you aren't!), other relative or friend even?

If you are in the UK you could try the PDSA or even the RSPCA who treat animals for either a reduced rate, free, or could possibly work out a payment plan for you. Your local vet may agree to some sort of payment plan, although most don't, but it's worth asking.

If your rabbit is really sick and you really cannot afford the bills you may have to consider signing him over to the RSPCA for them to look after, make better, and then rehome.

You have to by law get medical assistance for your rabbit otherwise you are going to make him suffer, which is cruel.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Last edited:
Can you find a local charity such as the Blue Cross or RSPCA which have clinics for poorly animals whose owners are on benefit etc and cannot therefore pay?

You are right i am young, and no there is no parent or friend that can help and no i do not live in the UK,im just not very sure what to do. thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear that your bunny may be poorly but when you take on the responsibility of any animal you have to ensure that you can affort vet bills. I take it that your bunny is not insured either?

Is there no-one who can help you, like a parent (you come across as young; apologies if you aren't!), other relative or friend even?

If you are in the UK you could try the PDSA or even the RSPCA who treat animals for either a reduced rate, free, or could possibly work out a payment plan for you. Your local vet may agree to some sort of payment plan, although most don't, but it's worth asking.

If your rabbit is really sick and you really cannot afford the bills you may have to consider signing him over to the RSPCA for them to look after, make better, and then rehome.

You have to by law get medical assistance for your rabbit otherwise you are going to make him suffer, which is cruel.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Would the pink things coming in and out of his eyes be third eyelids?

I thought that too.

Maybe he has some sort of eye infection which is what's now causing them to come out?

Could you perhaps Google "free or cheap rabbit care X" with the X being where you live and see what it brings up?

Back