• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible ear infection or EC

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I had to take Pippa to the emergency vets last night. Her head was tilted and her eyes flickering side to side.

Vet thinks it's an ear infection rather than EC, she was hopping around although mainly in circles. She seems better this morning her head is less tilted and her eye aren't moving as rapidly.

I'm going to go home this afternoon to look after her. The vet told me to keep her in the carrier but should I let her out while I'm there to keep an eye on her? Or is she better in the carrier?

She's part of a group of 5 but is closely bonded with Millie should I bring Millie in to keep her company? I didn't last night as I worried she might be too boisterous and knock her over.

Vet gave me antibiotics to give her for 7 days.

Hello Nicola

I am sorry that Pippa is unwell. Did the Vet also prescribe a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam ? With cases of head tilt/nystagmus it is inflammation which causes the symptoms. So reducing inflammation is important. In the absence of a definitive diagnosis it may also be a good idea to give Pippa a 28 day course of Panacur to cover the possibility of EC. That way both bacterial infection and EC are covered as far as treatment goes.

I would see how Pippa copes if you allow her out of the carrier for a while. Sometimes over-stimulation of the CNS can exacerbate symptoms. On the other hand she may find being confined stressful. It really will be a case of seeing what she can cope with best.

I would try to bring Millie in to keep Pippa company. It may be that you will need to keep them apart when you are not there to make sure all is OK. You could have them in cages next to each other when you cant supervise them together.

Is Pippa eating and drinking OK ? Secondary gut stasis is something else to keep an eye out for.

Some Vets recommend that all Rabbits who have had contact with a Rabbit displaying symptoms of EC are all treated with a course of Panacur. Some Vets says just a 9 day course, others say a 28 day course. Personally I do the latter. It is also important to bleach clean the environment on days 21 and 28 of Panacur treatment. A 10% bleach solution can be used. Any surfaces that cannot be bleach cleaned can be steam cleaned, steam kills EC spores.

EC spores are spread mainly via the urine. So minimising the risk of a Rabbit ingesting urine contaminated hay/bedding is important to try to prevent the Rabbit reinfecting him/herself.

With regards to antibiotic treatment. With ear infections a long course of antibiotics is often needed. Also, it is often the case that Baytril alone is ineffective. Another antibiotic or an additional antibiotic aswell as Baytril may be required.

I hope that you will see some more improvement in Pippa's symptoms soon xx

Hi jane thank you for your reply - on my phone so sorry if this is is riddled with typos!!

Is there a definite test they can do for EC? Pippa is eating and drinking fine and passing faeces. she didn't get any metacam just the antibiotics.

She's definitely better than yesterday but the vet said if she hasn't improved much by Saturday to bring her back in. I took a video of her last night so I can compare to see if there's any improvement.

I'll try bringing Millie in with her I might move her into a cage rather than the carrier so she has a bit more room but not enough to run around madly? What do you think?

Oh thank god been watching her since I got in about 15 mins ago and her eyes have stopped flickering

Hi jane thank you for your reply - on my phone so sorry if this is is riddled with typos!!

Is there a definite test they can do for EC? Pippa is eating and drinking fine and passing faeces. she didn't get any metacam just the antibiotics.

She's definitely better than yesterday but the vet said if she hasn't improved much by Saturday to bring her back in. I took a video of her last night so I can compare to see if there's any improvement.

I'll try bringing Millie in with her I might move her into a cage rather than the carrier so she has a bit more room but not enough to run around madly? What do you think?

Hi Nicola

Sorry to hear about Pippa. It's extremely worrying and scary, I know!

The test for E.C. is notoriously unreliable and also expensive. I have never bothered with it for these reasons. I have given Panacur though, when E.C. is suspected.

I think your vet may be right that it's an ear infection. If that's the case, 7 days of antibiotics will not be enough, but your regular vet can advise you on that.

I would also insist on Metacam, as it not only combats any pain she may be in (and you don't want her to stop eating due to pain issues). But also, it reduces any inflammation, which is good in the case of E.C. and ear infection.

I'm glad to hear she's doing a bit better.

Oh thank god been watching her since I got in about 15 mins ago and her eyes have stopped flickering

That sounds to be a positive sign. There are blood tests that can be done to check for EC, but in many cases Vets just treat symptomatically to cover both EC and bacterial infection-ie Antibiotics, Panacur and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory.

There is some info' about EC here :

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

You'll need to register with Pet Webinars to view this webinar for free

http://petwebinars.co.uk/webinar/the-truth-about-e-cuniculi-virtual-pet-congress-2015/

Thank you Jane sorry for the delay I haven't managed to get onto a computer to reply properly! Pippa is so much better now, her eyes have stopped flickering and her head is only slightly tilted now and not all of the time x

Thank you Jane sorry for the delay I haven't managed to get onto a computer to reply properly! Pippa is so much better now, her eyes have stopped flickering and her head is only slightly tilted now and not all of the time x

Thank goodness !! I hope that she will go on to make a full recovery xx

Very good news :D

I had to give my bunny 5 weeks of baytril before I noticed a big improvement in a head tilt from an ear infection. She had 8 weeks worth of antibiotics in total.

Back