• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anarchy has a sore nose... UD post 27 nodular myxomatosis

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Just spent some time with my outdoor bunnies and Anarchy's (jet black) nose looked pink. On looking at him from all angles it does look a bit swollen too :cry::cry::cry:

Scared is an understatement. He was last vaccinated mid-November so I'm hoping his immunity is good (if indeed that's what it is. Ironically he's one of the bunnies I'm desperately trying to confirm a vaccination date for. :(

I will of course be getting him to the vets ASAP and have a provisional appointment but given that I'm booked up with my mum's appointments... CT scan etc I can't get him seen as quickly as I'd like ie that would be immediately:cry:.

Vibes would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I wont say try not to worry, that would be asking the impossible of you. Sending millions of 'nothing nasty' vibes for Anarchy. I am sorry to hear of the worrying time you are also having regarding your Mum xx

Sending you loads of vibes.

I can understand how worried you are ... I hope your Mum will be OK too?

Will you be seeing FHB?

Thanks all.

No, ironically she's doing a CPD tomorrow and the agenda includes "myxomatosis and its differential diagnoses..." :( I'm sure we will have her input if it is the dreaded M though.

Goodness, Irony indeed :shock:

I pray it isn't that x

I'm pretty useless as a non car driver but if you can think of ANY way I can be of assistance I'd love to help

Thank you so much for the support, I have nowhere else to turn who understands fully.

I'm pretty useless as a non car driver but if you can think of ANY way I can be of assistance I'd love to help

Just "being there" has helped already, more than you can know.

I tried to convince myself he'd just made it sore pushing his face against the aviary mesh begging but tonight it looks more bulbous, I'm so convinced that it's myxo sadly....:cry:

Should I be keeping him strict quarantine? Obviously the other outdoor bunnies are at the same risk of mozzies as he is but I walk into the aviary to feed him and Eloise, handle the same food bowls as I'm doing the rounds of the outdoor buns. Should I now be changing my shoes, washing my hands before handling the other bunnies' food etc? (I realise I won't be separating him from Eloise, just the other bunnies).

I'll have a proper diagnosis/or not tomorrow but I've done the "EC precautions" before but not myxo.:cry:

Worse case if it's myxi, it sounds like it's nodular, which is nasty but not nearly so bad as full myxi - they can end up with just a single lump. You're quite right though, it could equally be a cut, nip or knock that's swelling.

It's not super contagious via humans, only mucous membranes to goo - so a bonded bunny licking discharge from an infected partner but even then if they are vaccinated it's uncommon to spread. I'd wash after poking his nose, but walking from pen to pen shouldn't be an issue. Biting insects are really the main vector, you should get rid of any standing water (except the water bowls) to avoid attracting mossys and if it does turn out to myxi flea treating might be worth it - cats/hedgehogs etc. can spread them about.

Thanks for the vibes and support.

Just got back from leaving A&E at the vets.

I'm really not sure as I was getting "it's not myxi" type message from the vet then when she was admitting him for a biopsy the feeling was more that we couldn't rule out "atypical myxi". So I really don't know if I wasn't listening well enough or that it actually wasn't clear... I'm not the best when I'm in the frame of mind I'm in.

So, vet wants to take a biopsy (no lesions to find anywhere other than his nose and no scratches/suggestion of injury on the swollen nose) but we "need to know what this is" so it's being sent fast track and we should know on Monday. He needs a GA for the biopsy, which I wasn't taking in until I was having him admitted :(

I'm a bit bewildered but then it's been a weird day as I started work at 6.00, mum had her CT scan at 9.00 ... we had a social services assessment at 3.00 (which again was quite :? as some of the content contradicted what the 'homes from hospital' service advised us... no wonder the oldies are confused *sigh*)... and I've still got work to do that I should have done on Sunday. ...

Oh bless you all :( I'm hoping the lack of lesions & just one swelling is a good thing. Did they let his wifey stay too?

Back