• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Rabbit Advice pics now included

Hi everyone I'm really hoping that someone can help me. I will give as much info as I possibly can but feel free to ask any questions that might help.
On Monday my brother said that someone he knew via work was desperately trying to give away 2 rabbits and the vile man would set them free if nobody took them. Anyway I said that I would have them as I can give them time, space and love etc.
So all I knew was that the rabbits were female and around 20 weeks old. We settled them in and set up the hutch and run and play area and left them be as they arrived with us late and it was dark.
The next morning in went to give them some hay and noticed that the smaller of the girls had some white patches of fur that in closer inspection was practically bald. We thought maybe that she was being picked on by her sister so set up a camera throughout the day and nothing happened. They snuggled together and she eats and drinks well. She has energy to run around and play and loves a cuddle.
I then saw her with a piece of fur in her mouth but couldn't find it in the hutch when I checked thoroughly.
The skin in clear with no redness or wounds and her sister has no symptoms and generally looks healthier.
I know I shouldn't have probably just taken in these girls without more thought but I have done now and will try my best to give them a good life. I have pics if someone could explain how I upload.

Last edited:
Hello there. I think the first important thing you need to do is ascertain whether they really are females, as if one is a male then she could get pregnant and before you realised the male could then reimpregnate her so 2 litters would be born :cry: If they are sisters then the fur may be from the less dominant rabbit if one has been chasing the other. But please have them sexed first.

IMG-20150909-WA0000_zpsuoy721ls.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG-20150909-WA0001_zpshblqnt0m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hello there. I think the first important thing you need to do is ascertain whether they really are females, as if one is a male then she could get pregnant and before you realised the male could then reimpregnate her so 2 litters would be born :cry: If they are sisters then the fur may be from the less dominant rabbit if one has been chasing the other. But please have them sexed first.

I agree with this. Given that the previous owner appears to care little for the welfare of the Rabbits I would take all that you were told about their history with a very large pinch of salt. Getting both Rabbits checked over by a Vet ASAP will hopefully establish that they are both female, that neither are pregnant and that any problems such as mites (which can cause flaky skin and fur loss) can be treated. Also, it would be an ideal opportunity to discuss vaccinating and neutering both Rabbits when the time is appropriate to do so. At the moment there is a problem with supplies of the Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine, but your Vet should be able to give you details of what measures his/her Practice has in place to address this current (and hopefully temporary) supply issue.

Back