• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loosing a rabit (RIP 21.09.15)

xxx_Ra_xxx

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

I came across this webpage today. It's fantastic. I have an 8.5 year old rabbit called Guh (son called him that as a baby and it stuck lol) Anyway he has been such a healthy happy boy but recently I noticed he wasn't eating much. I took him to the vet and he needed some work on his teeth. He got that done on Friday, when I collected him they vet told me he had a lump on his cheek. She said that maybe it was an abscess and to bring him back every 48 hours for an antibiotic which I am doing. When we got him home I hand fed him mushy pellets. On Saturday he got a bit of fight back and started eating mushy pellets himself, I was delighted. But now Tuesday night he is still eating mushy pellets, no hay, grass, veg or treats. I am worried that I am going to loose my beautiful boy. I cannot imagine my life without him, watching him binky around the garden, running down the steps to greet me when I come out. I can't stop crying. He has brought so much happiness to our lives :love:

Last edited:
Oh, my heart is with you! That's my bunny's age & I understand the attachment! I hope Guh recovers, xx

has he been for a pre post op check up? try tempting him with herbs if havn't already anything soft his mouth may still be sore, hope he picks up soon

Has he been back for more antibiotic, and if so, what did the vet say? If he was improving, he may need an adjustment in his dosage level/frequency.
Did the vet prescribe any pain medication for your bunny? Many bunnies will stop eating when they have discomfort.
Is is making urine and droppings?
Make sure he eats enough of the mushy pellets, even if you have to syringe feed it to your bunny.
You bunny's lump may be keeping him from making the motion they need to pick-up and eat hay; but he is still able to eat the mushy pellets. Will he eat things if you cut them into smaller pieces? Also, how is his fluid intake. He must be getting some fluids in the mushy pellets, but he could be needing more.

He was back on Monday, she said it was early days. We go back today. He is drinking plenty of water. He is on Medacam once a day. He is making urine and droppings which is good. I give his fresh mushy pellets 4 times a day and he eats a good bit of it himself. I've tried cutting apple up and cabbage but he has no interest and those are things he loves. Maybe your right about the lump, he is struggling to life anything up in his mouth. I hate watching it, I wish I could just make him better

You could wizz him up some fruit, mushy pellets, veg and hay in a grinder or liquidiser. Were you given any gut stimulant? Maybe his tummy needs a little jumpstart with the proper meds. Is your vet very rabbit savvy? Good luck.

He was given ranitidine, but since he started eating I stopped. (he was stressing out when I tried to give) I've ordered some fresh fruit going to try him with that. If I blend it all up do I feed him it or just put it in his bowl? Thanks

You can put it on a saucer, rather than stressing him with a syringe. My Snowy used to lick it up in little globs. It gets fibre into bunny and helps keep the gut moving. Even with a sore mouth he always managed to eat pureed food. He lived for five years with his food mushed like that. He was 10 when I lost him. He had rubbish teeth all his life.

He was back on Monday, she said it was early days. We go back today. He is drinking plenty of water. He is on Medacam once a day. He is making urine and droppings which is good. I give his fresh mushy pellets 4 times a day and he eats a good bit of it himself. I've tried cutting apple up and cabbage but he has no interest and those are things he loves. Maybe your right about the lump, he is struggling to life anything up in his mouth. I hate watching it, I wish I could just make him better

He may just need more time. Rabbits will sometimes wall off infections into abcesses making it harder for the antibiotics to work quickly. He is still processing food and water, so he does not have any major obstruction. He is still trying, and that is a plus. Perhaps you can try to hold some of his favorite foods for him as he eats them.

He may just need more time. Rabbits will sometimes wall off infections into abcesses making it harder for the antibiotics to work quickly. He is still processing food and water, so he does not have any major obstruction. He is still trying, and that is a plus. Perhaps you can try to hold some of his favorite foods for him as he eats them.

I blended some fruit in with his mushy pellets and he enjoyed it. I'm glad that something is going in. Just need him to start eating the hay but like you say it's still early days so fingers crossed

That's good news. My Widget tends to go a couple of days before eating hay after a dental. The mushed food always seems to work well. You can even put some Recovery or Critical Care in too. Lots of luck and healing vibes for bun.

Please keep us updated on his progress. The most important thing is to keep his system moving and to maintain his current weight. Fluffybunny54 is correct about using some Recovery or Critical Care too. It can be syringe fed or given from a plate.

Hi Ra. Just saw ur post about ur wee bun and hope he is still improving. I see u r in carrickfergus I am in Northern Ireland also! Very few Northern Ireland people here. Please keep us updating on how ur little one is doing. Sending vibes for him.

Hope your little bun is coping a bit better. I know what you're going through, my Toffee has had an awful time with his teeth of late. I'm chopping up hay for him, in the garden this afternoon? He has had crushed nuggets, a couple of fenugreek crunchies crumbled in, and a couple of sticks of crumbled fibre. He's managing that ok. I'm binding it with grated apple or carrot. Maybe you could try that ? Good luck xx

Hi, wee update on Guh. He is still only interested in mushy pellets. I've added some fruit and veg to them and cut up hay. Hopefully he enjoyed. He's been looking back out to the garden so it is harder to see if he's eating any grass.... I will get some Critical Care to mix for him, do I get this at the vets? He is there again tomorrow for another injection.

Hi, wee update on Guh. He is still only interested in mushy pellets. I've added some fruit and veg to them and cut up hay. Hopefully he enjoyed. He's been looking back out to the garden so it is harder to see if he's eating any grass.... I will get some Critical Care to mix for him, do I get this at the vets? He is there again tomorrow for another injection.

yes critical care, or science recovery plus food ask your vets

An update, was back at the vet yesterday, it's an abscess. She put a needle in it but it wouldn't pop... He's going for another week of antibiotics every 48 hours. He still won't eat hay as he is just licking everything up. He is eating mushy pellets and puréed fruit. She said removing a back tooth is very difficult anyone else been in this situation? TIA

Hi Ra, my bridge bun Rosie had a tooth root absess where the tooth was extracted. I am not exactly sure of the tooth location but the tooth eventually grows back. I think it was a back tooth also. She was on depocillian injections for many months every other day with great success. I had to be shown how to inject the depocillian. Out of interest what vet are you using ? I have to travel 60 miles to go to Cedarmount in Bangor where Carol and Craig are fantastic bunny vets as they treat a lot of the Assisi rabbits.

Back