• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this Baytril dose correct?

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
I've just picked up Baytril for Daves sore hocks. It says to give 0.6ml of Baytril twice a day - is this correct? I've only ever had to give one dose per day before.

I've just picked up Baytril for Daves sore hocks. It says to give 0.6ml of Baytril twice a day - is this correct? I've only ever had to give one dose per day before.

It depends on the strength of the Baytril, the weight of the bunny and the severity of the pain :)

He's 5.8kg, the strength is 10% :)

I am assuming that the Vet feels that there is active infection in the hocks ?

Dose rates vary according to the precise condition being treated and many Rabbit savvy Vets prefer to give once daily dosing as it is thought this provides better steady blood concentration levels of the antibiotic.

With very young Rabbits care must be taken when giving Baytril as it does carry a risk of causing arthropathies (diseases of the joints)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Enrofloxacin.htm

Did the Vet check Dave's hips ?

Hi Jane, Dave hasn't actually been to see the vet, I just rang up to ask for a prescription for him. He was there last month due to his hocks so the vet knows they are still vulnerable. He keeps nibbling at the sensitive area and has caused a couple of bleeds over the past few days so I think the Baytril is just to err on the side of caution. My other giants also had Baytril when they had sore hocks.

Hi Jane, Dave hasn't actually been to see the vet, I just rang up to ask for a prescription for him. He was there last month due to his hocks so the vet knows they are still in a vulnerable state. He keeps nibbling at the sensitive area and has caused a couple of bleeds over the past few days so I think the Baytril is just to err on the side of caution. My other giants also had Baytril when they had sore hocks.

I would be very reluctant to give the Baytril without actual confirmation of a Bacterial infection. Also, sore hocks in such a young Rabbit needs more investigation. The sore hocks may be a secondary symptom of a 'structural' problem, hence my question about whether the Vet has thoroughly examined Dave's back/hips. Hip dysplasia can be a problem in Giants.

Is Dave having any Metacam. The hocks will be sore (hence why he is biting them) and the inflammation needs to be controlled.

In short, given how young Dave is, I would not want to give Baytril without him being seen by a Rabbit Savvy Vet again. As previously mentioned, giving Baytril to a growing Rabbit carries the risk of causing problems with the joints which could lead to a lifetime of arthritis. Not wanting to paint all 'gloom and doom' but it is important to be as sure as you can be that the hocks are not a secondary symptom of another problem and that the risks of giving Baytril are risks that are really necessary to take.

I would be very reluctant to give the Baytril without actual confirmation of a Bacterial infection. Also, sore hocks in such a young Rabbit needs more investigation. The sore hocks may be a secondary symptom of a 'structural' problem, hence my question about whether the Vet has thoroughly examined Dave's back/hips. Hip dysplasia can be a problem in Giants.

Is Dave having any Metacam. The hocks will be sore (hence why he is biting them) and the inflammation needs to be controlled.

In short, given how young Dave is, I would not want to give Baytril without him being seen by a Rabbit Savvy Vet again. As previously mentioned, giving Baytril to a growing Rabbit carries the risk of causing problems with the joints which could lead to a lifetime of arthritis. Not wanting to paint all 'gloom and doom' but it is important to be as sure as you can be that the hocks are not a secondary symptom of another problem and that the risks of giving Baytril are risks that are really necessary to take.

Barney had an issue with his right leg/hip causing him to have sore hocks so I get that that's a possibility. Dave was kept in bad conditions in his previous home so I just thought that his hocks could be down to that. I'm going to dismiss the Baytril for now. He has plenty of Loxicom to keep him comfortable so I'll keep an eye on his hocks over the next couple of weeks and decide whether to take him in for further investigation based on how they're looking.

Back