• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beano and Gordon booked in for dentals UD gordon not doing so well

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I feel awful, like it must be something I've been or not been feeding them! They've always had constant fresh hay and at least two different types and plenty to chew etc but I suppose these things happen. Just odd they both need dentals at the same time. Beanos on metacam since slight spurs were spotted on her upper molars last Friday. Gordon was on gut meds a couple of weeks ago for on and off eating as the vet said what he could see of his teeth looked fine so though we'd try something else before going in with a GA and he has been fine since but is again not finishing all the pellets (like beano) and is slow to start eating veg and sometimes turns it down so he's on metacam too and will be having his stomach checked and teeth checked too and possible work done if needed. Bless them both :(

Last edited:
I feel awful, like it must be something I've been or not been feeding them! They've always had constant fresh hay and at least two different types and plenty to chew etc but I suppose these things happen. Just odd they both need dentals at the same time. Beanos on metacam since slight spurs were spotted on her upper molars last Friday. Gordon was on gut meds a couple of weeks ago for on and off eating as the vet said what he could see of his teeth looked fine so though we'd try something else before going in with a GA and he has been fine since but is again not finishing all the pellets (like beano) and is slow to start eating veg and sometimes turns it down so he's on metacam too and will be having his stomach checked and teeth checked too and possible work done if needed. Bless them both :(

Don't they worry us, these bunnies?

Dental issues begin with the breeder very often - the genetic line and what they are fed whilst young. We have to pick up the pieces.

I hope both your lovely boys will be OK :wave:

Sending vibes for Beano and Gordon. I think the problem with being a bunny parent is that, no matter how much you do your best for them, you can't help feeling guilty and blaming yourself when they get poorly. I know I always did (still do in fact :( ) about Scrappy. I agree with Mighty Max, bad teeth in older bunnies are often caused by factors beyond our control. I had Scrappy on a very strict diet of various types of hay, forage and fibafirst. Despite being a good hay eater, she still got molar spurs. Apparently her previous owner had her on a terrible diet so I was always going to have an uphill battle with her teeth! Don't beat yourself up about it, you're doing the very best you can for them and you're getting the problem dealt with. xx

awww bless the, both sending vibes for Thursday, its not your fault just these things happen, could be due to anything, getting alittle older, genetics etc, but you will know all that

Good luck tomorrow. For years I never had a dental rabbit, ironically when I fed little hay, because I didn't know how much they needed. In recent years had three dental bunnies when they get the best hay, although my foster bunny came to me as a dental bunny. Don't feel bad, you just don't know which bunnies will end up with dental problems.

Thank you everyone. Will have to go straight to work after I drop them off tomorrow and then I finish at 4pm, feel bad I won't be able to pick them up earlier but at least they can stay and be monitored longer.

Thank you everyone. Will have to go straight to work after I drop them off tomorrow and then I finish at 4pm, feel bad I won't be able to pick them up earlier but at least they can stay and be monitored longer.

Good luck for tomorrow :D

Thank you. Just dropped them both off, Gordon does have slight spurs which weren't visible on his last visit so left them both for dentals, will be thinking about them while I'm at work. :(

Just rang the vets back and Gordons back tooth was growing into his jaw and whilst they were burring a blood vessel was caught and he lost a fair amount of blood. He's on fluids and they're monitoring his blood pressure etc but he's taking longer to come round fully from the aneasthetic. My poor boy :cry:

Thank you. Beano is with him and doing well. The vet said he has been eating but he's stopped now, he's due some critical care around now as he hasn't eaten in a couple of hours. He's struggling to maintain his own temperature so has heating and still on fluids. He's had pain killer and gut stimulant. He's still wobbly from the anaesthetic he had this morning when I was with him. :(

Oh poor Gordon, I hope he gets better soon. He's in the right place though and they're keeping a very close eye on him so fingers and paws crossed he's okay xx

Thank you. Beano is with him and doing well. The vet said he has been eating but he's stopped now, he's due some critical care around now as he hasn't eaten in a couple of hours. He's struggling to maintain his own temperature so has heating and still on fluids. He's had pain killer and gut stimulant. He's still wobbly from the anaesthetic he had this morning when I was with him. :(

You've been to see him? It'd be lovely to be able to do that. Still rooting for Gordon & a full recovery. do keep us updated

Thank you both. Very worried about him. I wasn't allowed in the back but the nurse brought them out into a little room where I could sit with them. Beano was having a potter and eating hay but Gordon was wobbling and just rested his head on me, he looked at points like he was going to eat hay but didn't.

Thank you. Vets have just rang, he's moving about more and looks less miserable but is still reluctant to eat so he's been having critical care. He's not had any hay but had a tiny nibble on herbs and a little slice of carrot so I need eating vibes for him :( Beano is back to her usual self and is nomming everything, even pellets again so I am happy about that.

Back