• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sleeping in the litter tray?!

Casco

Mama Doe
They insist on using the litter tray as a bed and have done since I got them nearly 4 weeks ago. I have tried putting other things in for them to sleep on (pet bed, another tray, a mat etc) but they just pee & poop on that too and still sleep in the main litter tray. Anything I can do to discourage this? I have also put an upside down cardboard box in with a door cut into it to see if they preferred bring in that to sleep but they just pushed that around the run and generally avoided it.

I think you'll find this is fairly common.
Mine have two huge litter trays lined with newspaper and then hay in them - they sleep, eat, wee and poo in them!

At least they like their litter tray ..I'd rather they were over used rather than under used if you get my drift. You've created a nice space for them that they appreciate. I'd not try to change their behaviour with this one. Beds end up become litter trays when you make them too cosy - well for my mucky bunnies anyway :lol:

They insist on using the litter tray as a bed and have done since I got them nearly 4 weeks ago. I have tried putting other things in for them to sleep on (pet bed, another tray, a mat etc) but they just pee & poop on that too and still sleep in the main litter tray. Anything I can do to discourage this? I have also put an upside down cardboard box in with a door cut into it to see if they preferred bring in that to sleep but they just pushed that around the run and generally avoided it.

:lol: Welcome to the wonderful world of buns!

Sometimes they will sleep on a soft bed and wee in the litter tray. Other times ... anything goes. Bit like Joey&Boo says ...

Ah that's good to know, thanks. I was wondering if sleeping there would cause issues with urine stains or burns and generally dirty bums & feet. I use megazorb & hay in the litter tray and tbh it makes life easier for me just having the litter tray to clean out every day - for the first week or 2 we had them there was also pee in the other corners of the crate and also over the side / on the floor outside the crate so I'm happy that they are only using their litter tray now!

I lost the litter tray battle LOL Mimi was hamster-sized & I was using an upside down frisbee. She designated that her bed! :)

Yep, mine do exactly the same, dirty bunnies :p However, I think they like the natural scent of themselves, must make them feel comfortable :-D who knows :D

Yes our girl Libby sleeps in the litter tray sometimes, never caught Chuzzlewit doing it though. Normally they seem to prefer a dark space to sleep in though, I often look round for them only to find them hiding in a cardboard box or the ground floor of their penthouse by MPH!

My (well, my children's [emoji6] ) two sleep in the litter tray all the time!!!

Sent from my E380 using Tapatalk

Aww... Yeah I agree with others, I think bunnies just like it!

I have 3 litter trays and luckily only 1 is also used as a bed; modelled by my little man! :)

Awww such cute photos! I've bought them a bigger litter tray (underbed storage box) so at least they have more space to sit in it, and the 'mess' isn't so concentrated in the one smaller area. Had them 5 weeks now and already on their third litter tray, seems to be working best so far though so hopefully won't be buying any more!

Back