• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home Help rather than Boarding

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
When I took Aboleth and Lopsy to the vets last month, it became clear that Aboleth was petrified of car travel. She's alright in the carrier, was OK at the vets too once she'd got over the journey (she was shaking terribly, even Lopsy kept nudging her gently), but when we went back again (it's a 5min drive), she was shaking when I put the carrier back in their house. She was fine after a little while.

This has really put the kybosh on boarding them when we're away for 2 weeks in May, as I expect we'd have to take them somewhere fairly distant (the longest car journey she's been on with us is just under 20mins, and that was from the rescue). I don't really want to have to take her somewhere new and far away, and their setup is such that they can do what they want when they want.

So, what are people's experiences of having someone round to look after them for such a long time? Looking for family&friends as well as professional people experiences :)

It is a worry isn't it. I am looking after my friend's 2 bunnies this week in their usual set up. I go in once or twice a day and as it is only up the road it works well. I almost offered to have them here - this is easier for me but perhaps an upheaval for the buns. So if you can find someone reliable with some bunny knowledge then I should go for them staying at home. Neither method is perfect.

With 9 buns, boarding is not really an option for us.

I've had my mum in law in the past come in morning and evening - but to be honest, she wouldn't be able to tell if a bun was off colour and we discovered she was bringing in her 4 year old grandson (I guess he is my nephew too :D) to "help" - and our buns so do not like little people, and the child is at best a little horror :evil: - so we very quickly said 'thanks - but no thanks'.

Since moving to Maidstone we only went away for one night - and used a local girl who does dog walking and pet sitting - she was fine, and I trusted her to be able to pick up when something wasn't quite right - and to phone us (MIL wouldn't have even noticed I don't think). We would use her again - but found out our current doggy sitter was sneaking up stairs to oogle the buns and she seems to know a fair bit about them so we will use her in future.

It's so incredibly hard though to trust a stranger to come in and deal with the rabbits though - and if you do use someone, just ask them questions, like what would they do in such and such a situation.

I had someone come in and look after the rabbits for us, twice a day, while we were away, 3-4 years ago. I'd never do it again. He was useless. He was supposed to turn up by 10.30 every day but I know for a fact that one day my parents were at our house at 12 and it was clearly evident he hadn't been - the hay racks had run out (their only source of hay at the time), they were still locked in their hutch (these were the days before the run was permanently attached to the shed and they were shut into the hutch at night, which was in the shed). Mum was really worried for them and didn't know where the key to the shed was kept as of course we'd organised this supposedly professional chappie to come in.

Needless to say we never got him again, I left negative feedback on his website and since then they have gone to boarders where of course they are checked on several times a day and I receive daily texts to say they're fine.

So if you do use someone who comes in to your house, make sure they're recommended by someone who already uses them!

This is something I have been thinking about since getting my rabbits, I think there is a shortage of indoor boarding available in my area. My mum is allergic (and usually comes on holiday with me anyway) and my dad has already said in no uncertain terms that he won't look after them so I have been looking into boarding for next summer.

When I had a rabbit years ago my neighbour used to look after him for me but he was an outdoor bunny so she didn't need access to my house to do this. It worked out quite well as she enjoyed looking after him. We have both moved house since then so no longer an option for her to do this.

Could you desensitise her to being transported? You've got loads of time before May, and it would be good to get her so she can travel to the vets more comfortably, right?

Two vet nurses look after my lot when I go away which isn't very often.They work at the practice I use for emergencies and would take them there for me if there was a problem.They come morning and late afternoon and my neighbour checks them lunchtime.I cant take 2 of them into boarding as it would upset them(due to their pre-rescue situation)so they may as well all stay home.I get daily texts and photos sent to my phone which helps.

Could you desensitise her to being transported? You've got loads of time before May, and it would be good to get her so she can travel to the vets more comfortably, right?
Mmm, not a bad idea! I don't really 'drive' places much, except for shopping etc. but I could start with just leaving her and Lopsy in the car for a half hour or so, then move on to actually going places with them.

Thankyou for your insights, everyone: I usually have someone come to the house when we're away for up to a week but two weeks I was less sure about. Said someones (we use different people) aren't always 'bunny-savvy' but are pretty clued-up with what to look for, especially with my young buns. I thought I should either get someone more savvy or get them boarded (properly) for such a long period, and it's not like we can't afford it. I know Stonebridge City Farm does boarding but I get the impression I (we) wouldn't like it, though I hasten to add I have not looked. Also with the longer period I would be happy for them to stay in the house (especially if I know them!). I know the University were asking around for people with pets so I might contact the Vet School and ask too.

Thanks again: any more, feel free to drop a comment!

Back