• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is this on my rabbits?

JoeKan

New Kit
This is my first post and I'm really concerned about my bunnies. One developed a "growth" on her nose and it's the size of a berry and even looks like one too. This has spread to 4 other bunnies. I am hoping, thinking, praying that this is a mosquito bite as there are about a bazillion mosquitoes around their hutch. All those who have this growth has it either on their nose, mouth or in between their nose and mouth.
I hope to try and post a picture but any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
I read on the other post that you are in Kansas. Whilst Myxo is not prevalent in the US, there have still been cases. The fact that there are a lot of Mosquitos would point to this being possible.

You need to get them to the vets for examination ASAP.

Good luck.

It could also be Vent disease, rabbit Syphilis.

Definately needs checking by a vet x

This is my first post and I'm really concerned about my bunnies. One developed a "growth" on her nose and it's the size of a berry and even looks like one too. This has spread to 4 other bunnies. I am hoping, thinking, praying that this is a mosquito bite as there are about a bazillion mosquitoes around their hutch. All those who have this growth has it either on their nose, mouth or in between their nose and mouth.
I hope to try and post a picture but any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

Look forward to seeing a photo, with a possibility of helping you more.

I hope you can find a vet soon who can also help you with your rabbits.

Take a picture on your phone. Transfer it onto a pc (using a USB cable) - then upload the picture using a hosting site. There are plenty of free ones - I often use this one:

http://tinypic.com/

Hope this helps.

It looks really gross. I'm thankful that I know none of the buns are in any pain. They are all eating healthy-unlimited hay and pellets in the evening. Fresh water and clean pens.

Any chance it could be papilloma virus even though the first one who has this hasn't been bred yet?

The only way to ascertain exactly what it is is to take the effected Rabbits to a Vet. Biopsies may be needed for a definitive diagnosis.

That looks awful and you really must take any affected rabbits to the vet as soon as possible. Just because they're not showing pain doesn't mean they're not in pain. Rabbits are prey animals and hide pain very well, very often by the time they do show pain they are in absolute tremendous pain and sometimes a vet visit by then is too late.

Good luck!

Back