• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help my rabbit is injured!

Rose&Edith

New Kit
Hello, I'm new here and could really use some advice! I have been away on holiday and my dad took my house rabbit Edith, he's looked after her before with no problems, except this time, she stayed at my aunt's house ( I wasn't aware this was going to happen) she has come back with injuries on both her back feet, all the fur has been worn away and she has what appear to be small blisters/scabs. I'm so worried for her, she is uneasy on her feet (shuffling about) and seems to be uncomfortable. She has other signs of being stressed but is receptive to treats and affection.
I suspect what has happened is my aunt has kept her in a room with a wooden floor and Edith has only ever been on carpet. It's logical but doesn't mean I'm not worried sick about her!
What I'd like to know is will this heal on its own and her fur grow back or is she going to need treatment??
The other signs of stress are being restless and constantly grooming.
Here is an image of her poorly foot (the other is just the same)
Any help would be appreciated, I just want my poorly bun to be ok

image.jpg

they are sore hocks, and carpet or any abrasive flooring can do it overtime, take your bunny to see a vet asap and they will then treat for you, as you don't want them getting infected, they already look sore

I would take her to the vet, as the skin is broken and you'll need to prevent infection. She'll need a nice soft surface to sit on whilst it grows back - natural grass is best but if she is inside fluffy vet bed or a thick layer of hay will be nice and cushioned for her. You'll also need to make sure her nails are kept short, as long nails and hard floors cause them to put more weight than is natural on the hock.

It could be the flooring in your aunts house, or it could also be if she wasn't cleaned out enough - sitting in dirty bedding can cause it.

Here's the RWAF advice on sore hocks: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/sorehocks.htm

Back