• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guilt / Loss of Rabbit

Hi,

I'm new to this website. I'm losing my mind after my 13 year old rabbit was put down this week.

I'm not expecting anything from you guys, I just need to write down my feelings.

He was a lovely mini lop. For the first 10 years, he lived in my lounge. He had a hutch and every evening or all day over the weekend, the door was open and he was free to come and go as he pleased. He was a very affectionate and loving boy. I had him neutered as I also had a cat who he got a bit randy with!

After this, I moved in with my partner, my partner didn't want my rabbit to live in the lounge, so we put him in the dining room. All my stuff was also in there so there was no room for him to exercise. I still gave him cuddles and kept him clean and fed him well. I kept meaning to get him a run, so I could make space for him but it didn't happen. I was also arranging my wedding so I was so busy. He got out a few times but really he just liked to be stroked and sat himself near the door of the cage with his head resting by my knee. He came with us when we went away for holidays and he got exercise then.

About a year later, he moved to my parents, he was based in the living room and the cage was open every day but as he got older, he didn't come out. He went blind and deaf. We had a scare with him last year with GI which he recovered from and then, this week, he stopped eating and couldn't stand up or seem to move one side of his body. My parents got the vet to visit urgently and it was decided that the would be out down as he was in a very bad way.

I few years ago, a vet gave my some drops for arthritis which I didn't give him as he was jumping ok and he always stressed out when trying to give him medicine. He was already on some fibre pellets for his tummy.

I feel terrible. 1, I feel like I've neglected him, 2, I should have taken him to the vet when he stopped wanting to come out of his hutch as he may have had arthritis in the end. I should have tried the drops. 3, I didn't stroke him last time I saw him (which I didn't get to see him often) as I had an op and was told I wasn't to bend down. 4, I should have spotted his failing health and taken him to the vets myself. I wish I wad there at the time if the final vet visit so I could have asked the questions I wanted.

Thank you for listening.

Sadly with loss comes guilt and regret. From your story it sounds like he was well looked after and you made decisions, that at the time, you felt were in the best interest of the bunny. Only a owner can know if the stress of giving meds outways the benefits and you made the call knowing your bunny the way you did. You did the best you could and your rabbit had a long life where he was able to do as he pleased. It is sad that he was with your parents and not you, but that is sadness for you not for him. I am sure he was happy with them as they looked after him and care about him.

Big hugs too you. xxx

he was very old so you really shouldn't feel guilty about his last few weeks/months.

I have the same guilt for my chipmunk, she had slowed down to an almost stop but still seemed happy enough, now she is gone after a really bad turn I worry that she suffered in the months before even though she looked ok. I think it may just be part of the grieving process :(

So sorry for your loss.

As others have said, there is always the guilt - its a sign we love them so much. Try and console yourself that you had your rabbit for 13 years - a really wonderful age. The fact that he lived to such an old age was down to the care you gave him. Take care xxxx

Hi,

I'm new to this website. I'm losing my mind after my 13 year old rabbit was put down this week.

I'm not expecting anything from you guys, I just need to write down my feelings.

He was a lovely mini lop. For the first 10 years, he lived in my lounge. He had a hutch and every evening or all day over the weekend, the door was open and he was free to come and go as he pleased. He was a very affectionate and loving boy. I had him neutered as I also had a cat who he got a bit randy with!

After this, I moved in with my partner, my partner didn't want my rabbit to live in the lounge, so we put him in the dining room. All my stuff was also in there so there was no room for him to exercise. I still gave him cuddles and kept him clean and fed him well. I kept meaning to get him a run, so I could make space for him but it didn't happen. I was also arranging my wedding so I was so busy. He got out a few times but really he just liked to be stroked and sat himself near the door of the cage with his head resting by my knee. He came with us when we went away for holidays and he got exercise then.

About a year later, he moved to my parents, he was based in the living room and the cage was open every day but as he got older, he didn't come out. He went blind and deaf. We had a scare with him last year with GI which he recovered from and then, this week, he stopped eating and couldn't stand up or seem to move one side of his body. My parents got the vet to visit urgently and it was decided that the would be out down as he was in a very bad way.

I few years ago, a vet gave my some drops for arthritis which I didn't give him as he was jumping ok and he always stressed out when trying to give him medicine. He was already on some fibre pellets for his tummy.

I feel terrible. 1, I feel like I've neglected him, 2, I should have taken him to the vet when he stopped wanting to come out of his hutch as he may have had arthritis in the end. I should have tried the drops. 3, I didn't stroke him last time I saw him (which I didn't get to see him often) as I had an op and was told I wasn't to bend down. 4, I should have spotted his failing health and taken him to the vets myself. I wish I wad there at the time if the final vet visit so I could have asked the questions I wanted.

Thank you for listening.

I'm so sorry for your loss

Feeling guilty is an absolutely normal part of the grieving process. However, that doesn't mean your guilt is justified, or that there is any reason to blame yourself at all. From what you have said you cared (and still care) very deeply for him.

What was his name? He sounds like a beautiful soul who kept you company for a long time. It's hard to be without them ..

Please stick around and thank you for joining the Forum :wave:

Back