• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Brother/Sister breeding?!

Daisie

New Kit
My two rabbits are brother and sister and I don't know much about their backgrounds (we adopted them instead of bought)
When we got them they told us that Holly was spayed and the vet tells us now that she isn't! We have booked for her to get spayed however it cannot be done until half way through the next month...
They've been alone together for the whole time I've had them and they are both of mating age and I'm worrying that Holly could get pregnant or already be pregnant...
I've read a lot of things saying that it's alright, although I am disinclined to believe that as I have also read a lot of things saying that it is definitely not okay.
I'm going to try to close up the ramp and put them in separate area's of the hutch for the time being but obviously I want them both to be able to enjoy their run at the same time...
Will there be any terrible outcomes if she does end up having babies?
I wouldn't sell the babies, I'd keep them as my partner and I love rabbits and we have four already so a few more wouldn't hurt.
I'm just worried that if she did end up having babies then they could die young, or have major problems with them as although we could afford to keep them happily, we wouldn't be able to afford many vet bills as with our vet you have to pay upfront and then claim it back later which I know isn't the best.

Any advice anyone, fingers crossed that she isn't pregnant (although I do love baby bunnies, I would make sure to get a suitable buck for Holly or Safire)

Hello

Regardless of whether the Rabbits are brother and sister breeding from any two Rabbits of whom you have no genetic history going back at least 2 generations is a HUGE risk.

I am a bit confused about the neutering issue. Do you mean the Vet has said that the BUCK is not neutered ? It is not possible to know if a Doe has been spayed unless there is documented evidence of the procedure with the Vet who performed the surgery or if this is unobtainable an ultrasound scan might clarify things, or the Doe may need to be opened up again to see if the ovaries and uterus are still there. If your Vet is NOT the Vet who did the spay but the Vet simply looked at the Doe and said 'she's not spayed' I would question how on earth the Vet can be so sure.

Telling if a Buck has been castrated is much more straightforward.

I will wait for you to clarify what the Vet actually said before I offer any more suggestions. But for now you do need to separate the two Rabbits until everything is clarified re who is or is not neutered and if the Doe is pregnant. If she is and she kindles whilst the Buck is still with her he will impregnate her again almost straight away. So a second litter would arrive 30-32 days later.

Hello

Regardless of whether the Rabbits are brother and sister breeding from any two Rabbits of whom you have no genetic history going back at least 2 generations is a HUGE risk.

I am a bit confused about the neutering issue. Do you mean the Vet has said that the BUCK is not neutered ? It is not possible to know if a Doe has been spayed unless there is documented evidence of the procedure with the Vet who performed the surgery or if this is unobtainable an ultrasound scan might clarify things, or the Doe may need to be opened up again to see if the ovaries and uterus are still there. If your Vet is NOT the Vet who did the spay but the Vet simply looked at the Doe and said 'she's not spayed' I would question how on earth the Vet can be so sure.

Telling if a Buck has been castrated is much more straightforward.

I will wait for you to clarify what the Vet actually said before I offer any more suggestions. But for now you do need to separate the two Rabbits until everything is clarified re who is or is not neutered and if the Doe is pregnant. If she is and she kindles whilst the Buck is still with her he will impregnate her again almost straight away. So a second litter would arrive 30-32 days later.

Yes, sorry I meant that Sam hasn't been neutered (I'm still a little new to this and got a little confused there) - since I've only had them around a month I've been playing with them on the floor and I have only actually picked them up to put them in their carriers to go to the vet so hadn't checked if he was or not. I've put Holly in the top half of the hutch and Sam is on the bottom with the run attached. Do you know how long it will be before I can tell if she is pregnant?

The first clue will possibly be when she starts making a nest so if you start from today and count 31 days then by that time she should have had babies. After this date she should be clear:thumb:

The first clue will possibly be when she starts making a nest so if you start from today and count 31 days then by that time she should have had babies. After this date she should be clear:thumb:

Thank you so much for your help :D

Back