• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it normal for rabbits to sleep so much?

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the silly question but just want people's view on how much bunnies do actually sleep?

Our two have access to our whole bungalow, cardboard castle, 3 litter trays, numerous toys and tunnels etc but I swear all my bunnies do is sleep! They used to be nutters, well honey still has her mad dashes every so often but all they seem to do is sleep..

I do work 9-5 so I'm not always at home but always believed that rabbits sleep during the day? And then at night, I honestly don't hear a peep out of them and are always fast asleep when I wake up to check!

I just want to ask could something be wrong with them? When they were shut in their pens they always had heaps of energy when they were out but now they're out all the time it's like they have turned so lazy!!

Can't resist some piccies;

Last edited:
Rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk, so sleeping at other times is normal. As long as they have plenty to occupy themselves I wouldn't worry.
Edited to say love the pics!

Well they don't seem to think its a problem ... they seem really chilled out about it :lol: If everything else is normal I'd not worry a bit. I admit to calling my rabbits boring for sleeping so much. Lovely photos.

Aww thank you so much everyone! Really appreciate it! :)

Otherwise both are absolutely fine & always happily stuffing their faces. Maybe I have just got seriously lazy bunnies.. Who just prefer sleeping & chilling out. Just I've had rabbits all my life & I have never noticed our others doing it, but then they were outside. Suppose I just pick up on it more as I'm always with them xx

Those photos are making me tired!!!

Honestly, normal if you ask me. :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those pics are fab! :love: my free range bunnies also spend most of their time sleeping, so I think it's normal too :)

Oh those photos are just adorable, I love that first one, very happy relaxed bunnies I'd say :love:

P.s. Are you sure not they're not getting into the drinks cabinet ? :lol:

I think the most unusual thing is the fact that they look so chilled but so uncomfortable! You have bunnies that sleep so awkwardly on such uncomfortable surfaces :lol:

Mine prefer the soft beds and fleeces I give them!

I think the most unusual thing is the fact that they look so chilled but so uncomfortable! You have bunnies that sleep so awkwardly on such uncomfortable surfaces :lol:

Mine prefer the soft beds and fleeces I give them!

I was thinking the same thing. Your bunnies look soo chilled in the oddest most uncomfortable positions.

Aww thank you so much everyone! Really appreciate it! :)

Otherwise both are absolutely fine & always happily stuffing their faces. Maybe I have just got seriously lazy bunnies.. Who just prefer sleeping & chilling out. Just I've had rabbits all my life & I have never noticed our others doing it, but then they were outside. Suppose I just pick up on it more as I'm always with them xx

Mine's similar, she's 8 now, but in her first several yrs, she ran so much, up & down the stairs, but now she's v. chill.

Thanks everyone! :)

Well they are only 11 months old so hence my worry, but thank you for the reassurance. With the fireplace, I know I really have no idea why they have taken so much to it & the positions do crack me up. Believe it or not, they also have an amazing fluffy dog bed.. Honey doesn't like being on it at all & harvey just wees on it. They also used to have a fleecy blanket but both just dig at it & again wee on it. They are from Wales so auppose that makes up for some of the oddness! :lol:

Haha, I did have to check our drinks cupboard but being honest they are brilliant & hardly chew anything.

Thanks everyone xx

My two are two-ish (very ish in Aboleth's case, she's young but we have no idea how old really) and spend lots of the day sleeping and cleaning (themselves, obviously, not their housing). They have a mad time if food is on the offing, so when we go outside, but if we're 'ignoring' them (cleaning their housing, gardening, trying to stroke them without food available, eating our own food and not sharing etc.), they graze, clean or sleep. Sometimes they'll have a sudden realisation that 2hrs after sunset is THE BEST TIME to be out in the open topped pen, when we want them to come in because we're going to bed... Other times they'll be starting to settle down to a clean and quiet hay-graze only half an hour after sunset or so. They do love sleeping though, Lopsy especially: he's like a cat because his favourite three things are eating, sleeping and being clean!

Love the first photo in particular, made me laugh!

They're still quite young though I think, and babies sleep a lot don't they? I know they're bunnies and can have had lots of bunnies of their own by now had they been wild, but even so.

Perhaps they're just very happy and contented little wabbits although I have to question their choice of bed! :lol:

Edited to add that whenever I go out and check my girls at various intervals throughout the day, they are 95% of the time relaxing/dozing/grooming each other in their shed or run, rather than playing, eating or messing about/being "active". So for your bunnies to be sleeping a lot appears to be normal because mine do too. Mine are 4 though, so a bit older, but just saying they're very similar :).

Last edited:
Its obviously tiring being so gorgeous.......

They are obviously chilled and contented wee bunnies!,!

Beautiful piccies..

Fee x

Thanks so much everyone!! :)

It really does mean a lot that you all think that they are happy and content! :love: It's such a relief as I am such a worrier! :( xxx

Back