• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on run please

MummyBH

Young Bun
We have 4 11-week-old bunnies, two male living together and two female living together. when they are all neutered / spayed we will pair them up and bond them to two male/female pairs. we will also attach all hutches and runs together.

we have 2 identical hutches and 2 identical and separate runs. each morning and evening we bring out then put away the rabbits. having been given advice on here we have purchased (and are awaiting delivery of) two runaround tubes, to attach the hutches to the runs. this means they will have free range of the hutch and run 24/7.

i have a separate thread on advice for the hutches and i feel confident that we have the right set-up.

i now am looking for advice on the runs. they are 120cm by 120cm - 4feet square-ish and over 2feet tall. they have four roof sections, one of which is wood - for rain cover - and three that are mesh. we have found that in this poor weather they are gathering under the wooden section most of the time, so we are awaiting delivery of three clear perspex sheets that will go over the mesh and provide total cover from above. obvo rain can still get in the sides, but it will be much dryer for them.

we have placed a litter tray, water bowl (attached to the mesh so it cant be accidentally tipped over), food bowl and hay feeder under the section with the wooden 'roof', so that it all stays dry.

we have a couple of hideaways in the run, one (a wooden log bridge-type thing) directly under a dangling hay feeder, so they can climb up onto it and stretch up to grab that extra hay. they can also hide under it. the other is made of seagrass, and it has one open end, a bit like a basket on its side. we did have a third hideaway, but it seemed to be a bit cluttered, so i removed it.

there is also a dangling wooden flower and leaf toy, not sure how much they play with it, but at least it gives them something else to play with. we are also getting bunney boxes (hopefully being delivered tomorrow!) with toys and treats, so there will be more for them to interact with.

my main concern is the flooring. its earth covered with bark chippings. in this weather it isnt drying out each day and is staying soggy. as the buns are in the dry hutch half the time, im not too worried, but when the runaround tubes are added i am not sure whether it is going to be okay for them long-term. i appreciate that it is more natural than concrete or lino, but still, im just not sure.

Also, it makes cleaning out the runs a nightmare and we have been figting a losing battle to keep the earth and bark chippings poop-free.

when we get the perspex 'roof' added, then it should be much dryer. and when they are old enough (within 3 months?) we will move the hutches onto grass full time.

just wanted to sense-check my thoughts and get some advice on whether the soggy ground is really a problem for them - and how to keep the runs clean.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dc30ae05032a3a772815bf0f4ab44c25.jpg

Thought id show you a picture of the set-up, so you can get a better idea of what it all looks like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I would be concerned if rabbits were spending a fair amount of time sitting on damp earth. A lot of rabbits are kept on paving slabs as grass doesn't last very long and slabs are safer. The way you have the set up seems to make it very difficult to get into the hutches to clean them. That would not suit me. Looking ahead, have you got a plan in case your 2 boys fall out, as they might in a couple of weeks time? You could section their hutch off into 2 having 1 up and 1 down.

Would you prefer to put the 2 runs together now so each pair has a bigger area to run around in and they could take turns. You could try it on the grass thus enabling you to access the hutches for cleaning.

I would also advise you to introduce a litter tray as the sooner they become litter trained the better. You can then put their hay into the tray.

The boys will be old enough to be neutered soon, around 14 weeks, if your Vet is happy, the girls will have to wait until they are between 5 an 6 months. The best way is to take everything slowly as you will have to wait un til the girls are over their spay before you can start the bonding. Quite a few months off.

Bonding will have to be done in a sepatate area where the girls have never been, so you can designate a place now and keep it bunny-free.

Back