• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long would you wait for a rescue bunny?

littleboots

Mama Doe
Im in a very sad place at the moment..... I lost my precious precious baby girl Lucy yesterday and both myself and my o/h are devastated .... Little Lucy was the kindest lovliest girl Ive ever had, and made it her mission when she arrived that she would live with Sonny..... and she did..... She has left a huge hole in our hearts and obviously in Sonnys too..... Although our grief at the moment is unbearable..... Sonnys grief is the most important..... He looks so alone bless him...... Although I have ALWAYS rescued...... what do you do when theres nothing in rescue???? My first port of call is and always will be Angie at BARC.... and I know if she can help me make Sonny happy again she will..... but how long do I leave my poor boy :( :(

I'm so sorry you lost Lucy :cry: I really hope Angie can help, I suppose it's very difficult to answer, it depends on how Sonny is coping xx

I think they'll always be a bunny in rescue and a lot rehome nationally anyway :) so sorry to hear you lost Lucy :cry: xx

There are very few girls available anywhere at the moment :( :( :( ive trawled the rescue sites...... my only criteria is age and temperament.
I really feel like giving up after the loss of >Lucy..... but I just cant do that to Sonny :( :(

There are very few girls available anywhere at the moment :( :( :( ive trawled the rescue sites...... my only criteria is age and temperament.
I really feel like giving up after the loss of >Lucy..... but I just cant do that to Sonny :( :(

Oh I didn't realise that! Thinking about it though there are a lot of boy buns at the moment...

What age are you after? Maybe we can all help you find the right bun x

Oh I didn't realise that! Thinking about it though there are a lot of boy buns at the moment...

What age are you after? Maybe we can all help you find the right bun x

Sonny is a black lop.... just over a year old... so something of similar age, or bit younger or older..... cant be a bossy girl as he wouldn't take that.... but is a lovable boy who as long as not bullied will take to any girl x

Camp Nibble have some single girls in, but it looks like they are either older or reserved. However, it might be worth you dropping them an email, as I know they often have a waiting list.

I think Santa has lots of young female rabbits looking for homes. Would be worth asking, although I'm not sure what area she rehomes to.

The other thing is to call the rescue and see what's on their waiting list. It's possible they've got girls waiting for a space or recovering from a neuter that aren't advertised but could be right for you. Particularly if you've had bunnies from the rescue before so you are already home checked and they know you have a lonely bun waiting :)

I am sorry for your and Sonny's loss.
While it is understandable that you want to ease your boy's grief and get him a new friend quickly; try to be patient. The right bunny for you and Sonny one will come along soon enough.

Im in a very sad place at the moment..... I lost my precious precious baby girl Lucy yesterday and both myself and my o/h are devastated .... Little Lucy was the kindest lovliest girl Ive ever had, and made it her mission when she arrived that she would live with Sonny..... and she did..... She has left a huge hole in our hearts and obviously in Sonnys too..... Although our grief at the moment is unbearable..... Sonnys grief is the most important..... He looks so alone bless him...... Although I have ALWAYS rescued...... what do you do when theres nothing in rescue???? My first port of call is and always will be Angie at BARC.... and I know if she can help me make Sonny happy again she will..... but how long do I leave my poor boy :( :(

I am very sorry to hear of your tragic loss :cry: I think all Rabbits grieve in individual ways. Some want and need a companion very soon after a bereavement, some refuse to accept any other Rabbit for a very long time. A few never will, although that is rare it can happen.

In the short term I find that making changes to the bereaved Rabbit's environment can be a distraction for them. Just simple things like adding an empty cereal box to their enclosure. It will smell interesting and if you leave a flake of cereal in the box that will increase the Rabbit's interest in finding out what it is and what it tastes like.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss :cry:

RIP Lucy xx

When I lost my Inca wee Herbie was just so quiet and reserved. I got Hollie about 2weeks after, she was (and still is) a bossy madam, but then Inca was bossy with Herbie too, so that's just how he probably thinks lady buns are!

I think that there must be the perfect girl for you out there somewhere :)

I'd try to get one of the rescues to do some speed dating with sonny, ultimately it's sonny who picks his new partner unfortunately the type of bunny we might want rarely comes into it.

Back