• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccine prioritising..

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Just phoned the vets and they had me on hold for 7 minutes, only to be told they have a shortage of the vaccines. They said they are prioritising them for the baby rabbits and rabbits who've never been vaccinated. She said that they should have some in a few weeks. She was like "you don't get wild rabbits in your garden do you?"

Pickle and Lily were due on the 26th of August (last week) should they be ok?

Just phoned the vets and they had me on hold for 7 minutes, only to be told they have a shortage of the vaccines. They said they are prioritising them for the baby rabbits and rabbits who've never been vaccinated. She said that they should have some in a few weeks. She was like "you don't get wild rabbits in your garden do you?"

Pickle and Lily were due on the 26th of August (last week) should they be ok?

According to MSD, the manufacturers, it's been tested to a 13 month efficacy.

According to Mark at Trinity vets, he is seeing some cases of myxi before the year is up, and is advocating vaccinating at 11 months.

Are they outdoor rabbits? I think I would worry less if they were indoors mainly ... Of course they all need vaccinating! I can see why your surgery is having to prioritise and understand what they are saying ...

According to MSD, the manufacturers, it's been tested to a 13 month efficacy.

According to Mark at Trinity vets, he is seeing some cases of myxi before the year is up, and is advocating vaccinating at 11 months.

Are they outdoor rabbits? I think I would worry less if they were indoors mainly ... Of course they all need vaccinating! I can see why your surgery is having to prioritise and understand what they are saying ...

They are outdoor rabbits yes, they have full 24/7 access to their outdoor runs too. We are also surrounded by fields. Have never seen a wild rabbit in the garden. However I know that's not the only way the diseases are contracted.

They are outdoor rabbits yes, they have full 24/7 access to their outdoor runs too. We are also surrounded by fields. Have never seen a wild rabbit in the garden. However I know that's not the only way the diseases are contracted.

I would say your vet should count yours as priorities.

I think all good vets are prioritising baby and totally unvaccinated rabbits right now due to the shortage unfortunately

Hopefully your vet will be able to get one of the large dose bottles later in the month and will hold a mass vaccination clinic.

It is a huge worry to those with rabbits due. We have ten due this month :(

Back