• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fleece on the floor of hutch? (Please?)

Mae

Young Bun
I read that rabbits don't necessarily need bedding like hamsters, and fleece can be used as if they do happen to ingest it, it's not harmful for them. I know that this is what a lot of people that have indoor rabbits use.
I was wondering if it would be okay for me to put a fleece down on each floor in the hutch, and then it would make cleaning easier as when I clean I would just put them through the washing machine?
I'd put the hay rack above the litter tray, as I am planning on litter training them too, so would fleece be a good idea?

When I worked at the farm I'm getting them from, I had to clean out the hutch and it was a lot of effort to get all of the hay out of the bottom and then scrub the floor clean of all pee and poop so if I litter train them could I use fleece, and just have the hay in the rack? (They have hay as their bedding right now on the farm, which is kind of unhygienic I think as its what they're walking on, sleeping, peeing, pooping on and then eating it??)

Last edited:
If it's an issue of insulation outside, they are in a shed so it should be relatively warmer in there and we are possibly bringing them in in the winter if it gets too cold for them, I would prefer to use fleece and then maybe put some bits of hay scattered around? I've never owned rabbits before and I've been researching like crazy!

I use fleece on the floor in my hutches. I also have large wooden snuggle boxes in the hutches, filled with hay. My hutches, built by my hubby, have double skinned, insulated walls with reptile heatpads built in attached to thermostats. If the temperature drops to 10 degrees or less their heating comes on in the winter. I find the fleeces will brush off well and get regularly washed in the machine. This way they still have hay to snuggle in.

I use fleece on the floor in my hutches. I also have large wooden snuggle boxes in the hutches, filled with hay. My hutches, built by my hubby, have double skinned, insulated walls with reptile heatpads built in attached to thermostats. If the temperature drops to 10 degrees or less their heating comes on in the winter. I find the fleeces will brush off well and get regularly washed in the machine. This way they still have hay to snuggle in.

I use fleece, but they have hay on top of it to snuggle on and nibble :)

So if I have fleece on the floor on both levels and then put a bit of hay in their snuggle box would that be alright? :)

Yes but watch for nibbling! And you may need to change them very regularly due to mess and weewee!

Get a numnah horse wash bag to wash them in - will save breaking your washing machine!

I also recommend putting non slip Lino stuck on the base under the fleece too to save the wood

Here are Widget aged 3 and Ginny aged 9 both rescues. Some people don't like the mess hay on fleece makes but my buns are happy so I don't stress about it. I'll give the fleeces a shake every couple of days and if there's fur all over it I'll brush it off with a yard broom.
20150902_171536.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yes but watch for nibbling! And you may need to change them very regularly due to mess and weewee!

Get a numnah horse wash bag to wash them in - will save breaking your washing machine!

Thank you :) do you know where I would buy the non slip Lino and the numnah bag?

Here are Widget aged 3 and Ginny aged 9 both rescues. Some people don't like the mess hay on fleece makes but my buns are happy so I don't stress about it. I'll give the fleeces a shake every couple of days and if there's fur all over it I'll brush it off with a yard broom.
20150902_171536.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Aww :) It was just the issue of cleaning the hay up as they're living in a shed, but I suppose as long as I shake it every few days like you said and wash it at the weekends then it should be fine?

We bought our Vetbed fleece from ebay years ago in a huge roll, like carpet. It was expensive to buy but works out really cheap compared to what you pay at the pet shops. We paid £100 for a 10metre roll which was 1.1/2 metres wide. We've had it for years. Trouble is, it's grey. They didn't do any other colour when we bought it. There's loads of fleece on ebay.

We bought our Vetbed fleece from ebay years ago in a huge roll, like carpet. It was expensive to buy but works out really cheap compared to what you pay at the pet shops. We paid £100 for a 10metre roll which was 1.1/2 metres wide. We've had it for years. Trouble is, it's grey. They didn't do any other colour when we bought it. There's loads of fleece on ebay.

Thank you :3 i'll be sure to have a look

I hope everything goes ok for you and your new buns. Remember to get a high sided tray that's easy enough for your buns to jump in and out and to stop the pee going all over the hutch and up the walls.

I hope everything goes ok for you and your new buns. Remember to get a high sided tray that's easy enough for your buns to jump in and out and to stop the pee going all over the hutch and up the walls.

Thank you, you've been really helpful :D

Try carpet shops for lino offcuts and as in addition to fleece you could also use fluffy dressing gowns from charity shops as well. Sounds daft but if the dressing gowns get too worn out then they're easily and cheaply replaceable plus my hooligans don't notice the difference.

Would definitely second the recommendation for a horse rug wash bag, I use one myself and it does make a difference.

Try carpet shops for lino offcuts and as in addition to fleece you could also use fluffy dressing gowns from charity shops as well. Sounds daft but if the dressing gowns get too worn out then they're easily and cheaply replaceable plus my hooligans don't notice the difference.

Would definitely second the recommendation for a horse rug wash bag, I use one myself and it does make a difference.

Ah, that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that, thank you!

Second this - we have vetbed too for our bunnies (and dogs!) super stuff. High absorbent and available with non-slip backing, lots of nice designs too :)

Fleece is the best! It is so much softer on their little feet and much more comfortable to snuggle up in. Both my hutches have fleece on top and bottom floors. They're both litter trained so don't pee on the fleeces. Hay from their litter boxes hay racks does fall out and can get on the fleeces but I just shake them off every few days. I wouldn't go back to using just straw etc on the floor of a hutch now

Back