• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RWAF First Alert- Re Myxomatosis and RVHD- *IMPORTANT*

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Copied from an email I have just received :

As always sadly we need to add notifications of outbreaks of Myxomatosis and VHD first. There have been many notifications and we must warn people that both diseases are widespread, and that rabbits suddenly dying with no clear symptoms may very well have suffered from RVHD. The trademark visible bleeding from orifices is in fact quite rare and any mysterious death should be treated with suspicion.

Recent reports of outbreaks have been as follows

Myxomatosis

Glen Clova, Angus (wild rabbits)
Sedgefield, Co Durham (wild rabbits)
Willington, Co Durham (pets)
Overton, Lancashire (wild rabbits)
Vale of York, North Yorkshire (wild rabbits)
Leyburn, North Yorkshire (wild rabbits)

RVHD

Bishops Castle, South Shropshire (awaiting Post Morten results for confirmation)
Harrogate, North Yorkshire (confirmed)
Shirley, Surrey (awaiting Post Morten results for confirmation)

We have also been notified about this message from the Government

Date: Fri 21 Aug 2015

Re: Rabbit hemorrhagic disease - UK: (England) susp. 20150820.3591864

It should be noted that if the virus present in these cases is the RHD virus 2-like variant (RHDV-2), then the current vaccines available, (based on RHDV) may not provide effective protection. Full identification of the causative virus is therefore essential.

--
Communicated by
Alan Wight
<alan.wight@apha.gsi.gov.uk>

[In summer 2010 a RHDV variant, deciphered on the basis of the major capsid protein (VP60) sequence and designated RHDV-2, was detected in France, following which it spread across mainland Europe.
Subsequently, the availability of efficacious commercial vaccines that afforded protection against circulating RHDV strains enabled its control; however, in wild populations the effects of vaccination campaigns are considered inconsequential.

Since August 2013, an increased number of samples submitted for the investigation of RHDV were received in the Department of Virology, Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), Weybridge, Surrey, UK, eventually leading to identification of RHDV-2, as published in December 2014 (see Ref 1).

The following information on RHDV-2 is derived from the commentary of Mod.CRD in ProMED-mail's post 20150708.3494836:

"According to recent publications, the emerging lagovirus Rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus 2 (RHDV2) has been described as a strain that infects not only rabbits but also hares. (http://tinyurl.com/pttjtp5).

RHDV2 is less virulent and with lower observed mortality rates than RHDV and RHDVa. However, the disease resulting from RHDV2 is longer in duration and will take a chronic or subacute course more often than RHD caused by the other viral strains.
<http://biome.biomedcentral.com/new-lagovirus-identified-as-cause-of-rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease/>

Subscribers may want to refer to these 2 interesting articles which describe this new strain:

Camarda A, Pugliese N, Cavadini P, et al. Detection of the new emerging rabbit hemorrhagic disease type 2 virus (RHDV2) in Sicily from rabbit (_Oryctolagus cuniculus_) and Italian hare (_Lepus corsicanus_). Res Vet Sci. 2014; 97(3); 642-5. <http://tinyurl.com/pttjtp5>.

Le Gall-Recule G, Lavazza A, Marchandeau S, et al. Emergence of a new lagovirus related to Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease Virus. Vet Res. 2013;
44(1): 81. <http://www.veterinaryresearch.org/content/44/1/81>."

Laboratory tests to confirm the (suspected) diagnosis of the cases in
Maidstone (Kent) as reported in ProMED-mail's recent post
20150820.3591864 are anticipated. In line with Dr Wight's appreciated comment, genotyping of the causative virus is needed.

Reference
D. G. Westcott, DG and Choudhury, B. Rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus 2-like variant in Great Britain (Short communication). Veterinary Record 2015;176:74 doi:10.1136/vr.102830. (Published Online: 4 Dec 2014). - Mod.AS

Normally our message would be to vaccinate as that remains the only sure way to protect rabbits against these two awful diseases. However this has come at what could be a difficult time unless owners and vets work together to ensure that vaccinations are up to date. Here is a statement from MSD, the manufacturers of Nobivac, the vaccine that protects against Myxi and VHD

MSD Animal Health will be experiencing a temporary supply shortage with Nobivac Myxo-RHD for the period end of August to the end of October. This is due to an unexpected production delay. They apologise sincerely for the inconvenience this may cause but wished to give some advance notice to practices to facilitate practice planning and so that they are in a position to appropriately inform those rabbit owners that may be affected. No other MSD Animal Health vaccines are affected by the supply issue and this issue not related to any quality, safety or efficacy issue with vaccine being used currently.
MSD are working to improve this timeline and as an interim solution they are looking to provide an alternative multiple dose presentation of the same product from mid-September. Whilst we appreciate that this may be less than ideal it should ensure with appropriate planning that rabbit vaccines will continue to be available over this period to allow sufficient availability to provide essential cover for vulnerable rabbits.
Your veterinary practice should be receiving communications from MSD about this, and will be in the best position to advise owners due vaccines for their rabbits in their area over the next few weeks as to how and when they can get their rabbits vaccinated
It is important not to bring your rabbit's vaccinations forward in the short term since adequate product is expected to be available to ensure coverage of the population in the short term. Vets may have to prioritise vaccination of young and high risk rabbits in the short term but it is anticipated that there should be sufficient product available to cover demand once the alternative supply of product is expected to become available in mid-September
Practices will be best placed to advise on other ways of reducing the risk of infectious disease - stringent biosecurity and parasite control to reduce the opportunities of infection are particularly vital at this time. Take steps to ensure your rabbits are kept well away from potential sources of infection such as wild rabbits, and discuss with your vet how best to manage the risk of fleas and flies during this period.
MSD are working to improve this timeline and as an interim solution they are looking to provide an alternative multiple dose presentation of the same product from mid-September. Whilst we appreciate that this may be less than ideal it should ensure with appropriate planning that rabbit vaccines will continue to be available over this period to allow sufficient availability to provide essential cover for vulnerable rabbits.
Your veterinary practice should be receiving communications from MSD about this, and will be in the best position to advise owners due vaccines for their rabbits in their area over the next few weeks as to how and when they can get their rabbits vaccinated
It is important not to bring your rabbit's vaccinations forward in the short term since adequate product is expected to be available to ensure coverage of the population in the short term. Vets may have to prioritise vaccination of young and high risk rabbits in the short term but it is anticipated that there should be sufficient product available to cover demand once the alternative supply of product is expected to become available in mid-September
Practices will be best placed to advise on other ways of reducing the risk of infectious disease - stringent biosecurity and parasite control to reduce the opportunities of infection are particularly vital at this time. Take steps to ensure your rabbits are kept well away from potential sources of infection such as wild rabbits, and discuss with your vet how best to manage the risk of fleas and flies during this period.
MSD apologise for any inconvenience caused, and are communicating with practices to address the issues, doing all they can to provide an alternative. Since the alternative product has to be used within a few hours of opening, it is likely that many practices will be offering vaccination clinics to ensure that as many rabbits can be vaccinated as possible. To this end good communication between vets and owners will be needed to make sure the maximum number of rabbits benefit. Communication between rabbit organisations to group together rabbits for vaccination at practices may greatly help.

If your rabbits' vaccinations are due at this time of year, please don't panic. The multi-dose vaccine that MSD is providing will offer the same protection as the standard one, it just has to be used within a short time after opening, and that is why MSD is advising vets to hold vaccination clinics where clients whose rabbits' vaccination dates are close together will all be invited to attend and be vaccinated from the same batch. Please contact your vet to find out when that will happen in your area.

:( The news just keeps getting worse *sigh*

Doesn't it just. I live in Darlington not fair from Sedgefield and Willington. I actually work in Sedgefield. It's making me quite paranoid as we have Maggie, George and Hershel due between now and November.

I remember reading something about the 2nd strain of RHD in the Rabbiting On a few issues back.

Doesn't it just. I live in Darlington not fair from Sedgefield and Willington. I actually work in Sedgefield. It's making me quite paranoid as we have Maggie, George and Hershel due between now and November.

I remember reading something about the 2nd strain of RHD in the Rabbiting On a few issues back.

I'm in same boat as yourself, I travel to Harrogate quite a lot and have Skunk due in October and Anarchy in early November :(

Any news on Vets arranging Vaccination Clinics using the Multi dose vaccine ?

Mine say they are going to do a Wednesday afternoon probably 23 September 2-6pm. They don't expect to use the whole vial and they have no news of when any more will be available. If they can't do 50 in one sitting I doubt many practices can! They are sending a letter out some time this week. It's going to be really difficult for those who just can't make it to the 4 hour clinic that's available to them, although, I suspect, if there's doses going spare it is going to be worth ringing round local practices and booking wherever people can get to - the usual etiquette of using your own vet would take a back seat in this instance.:?

Oh and, they said they don't know for sure when they are going to receive the 50 dose vial yet and would like to know for sure before arranging the clinic but then have to give people plenty of notice of the clinic date to enable them to attend.... Big, big mess up MSD.:evil:

Last edited:
Is this a regional thing or are all vets going to have a shortage/vaccination clinic?

Very confused!!

Is this a regional thing or are all vets going to have a shortage/vaccination clinic?

Very confused!!

Not regional, no. The UK is about to run out of the vaccine, no single doses are available other than those that vet practices already hold in stock. The manufacturers are providing 50 dose vials to practices (that have to be used within 4 hours of opening) so if you can't get to the vaccination clinics they your rabbits don't get vaccinated! I only know of them being offered 1 vial of this and no knowledge of what's supposed to happen in October!

Mine say they are going to do a Wednesday afternoon probably 23 September 2-6pm. They don't expect to use the whole vial and they have no news of when any more will be available. If they can't do 50 in one sitting I doubt many practices can! They are sending a letter out some time this week. It's going to be really difficult for those who just can't make it to the 4 hour clinic that's available to them, although, I suspect, if there's doses going spare it is going to be worth ringing round local practices and booking wherever people can get to - the usual etiquette of using your own vet would take a back seat in this instance.:?

Oh and, they said they don't know for sure when they are going to receive the 50 dose vial yet and would like to know for sure before arranging the clinic but then have to give people plenty of notice of the clinic date to enable them to attend.... Big, big mess up MSD.:evil:

You could suggest to your vets to offer to a rescue for a reduced price / free if they are going to go to waste?

You could suggest to your vets to offer to a rescue for a reduced price / free if they are going to go to waste?

I could but they won't need any prompting from me in that regard. Every other practice will be in the same situation, it's the logistics of sorting it all out, getting it used in the 4 hours, someone suitably qualified to administer it etc.

Last edited:
Not regional, no. The UK is about to run out of the vaccine, no single doses are available other than those that vet practices already hold in stock. The manufacturers are providing 50 dose vials to practices (that have to be used within 4 hours of opening) so if you can't get to the vaccination clinics they your rabbits don't get vaccinated! I only know of them being offered 1 vial of this and no knowledge of what's supposed to happen in October!

Ah, I'll message my vet then. They're usually very good but haven't said anything... perhaps they have it in stock?

Ah, I'll message my vet then. They're usually very good but haven't said anything... perhaps they have it in stock?

They might not even know yet. Before the statement from RWAF last weekend on Facebook, the manufacturers were only telling the vets as they were reordering stocks. I saw the original rumour posted on here and informed my vets a few weeks back and that was the first they had heard about it. My vets are not very happy about it at all.

They might not even know yet. Before the statement from RWAF last weekend on Facebook, the manufacturers were only telling the vets as they were reordering stocks. I saw the original rumour posted on here and informed my vets a few weeks back and that was the first they had heard about it. My vets are not very happy about it at all.

My vets were only informed by MSD last Thursday - as exotic vets you'd think they would have been told earlier. However, there meds rep had told them 3 weeks prior so they had already started putting measures in place - for example, as patients rang in to book vaccines, they packages the vaccines away for that rabbit.

I haven't heard anything about clinics - thankfully the next lot of mine that need vaccines is in November when the situation will hopefully have improved.

No news on multi dose bottles here yet.

Last I heard was MSD were TRYING to import them for late September but nothing was guaranteed.

We have ten due :(

No news on multi dose bottles here yet.

Last I heard was MSD were TRYING to import them for late September but nothing was guaranteed.

We have ten due :(

:cry: It's really not good enough, we need more definite answers and more reassurance from MSD :evil:

I can imagine it's very stressful with ten due :(

So, still no clinic date for the mass vaccination at our practice - has anybody else got a date through?

At my practice there are no single vaccines left, MSD haven't yet given them a definitive date for when they will receive the 50 dose vial so they haven't arranged a clinic until they know... in the meantime I'm having a rabbit biopsied for possible myxomatosis and have 2 vaccinations due in the next month.. and we also have VHD confirmed in the area. Bit stressed about this then:cry:

No nothing here either :(

I remember having a myxi scare here last year when we had some unvaccinated rabbits, it was terrifying. So I feel for you.

Thankfully ours turned out to be an allergic reaction with some pasturella thrown in fkr good measure!

Hopefully yours will come back negative too xx

No nothing here either :(

I remember having a myxi scare here last year when we had some unvaccinated rabbits, it was terrifying. So I feel for you.

Thankfully ours turned out to be an allergic reaction with some pasturella thrown in fkr good measure!

Hopefully yours will come back negative too xx

FHB has just confirmed her opinion that my rabbit has nodular myxomatosis, so the exposure is there, luckily they are all vaccinated at the moment but they need to supply the vaccine so I can continue that status.

Back