• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit in human sewerage

My rabbit lives on the floor if a shed with a small box hutch to sleep in/just on, I went to see her yesterday and the floor was flooded with what we thought was water, we borrowed a neighbours hutch asap and she slept in there. Today we found out that it was sewerage so she was bathed straight away (she us currently drying off inside)
What else can I do? we have scrubbed the hutch and floor but I'm scared about her health and I feel like a bad owner 😥
Thanks

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It all cleaned up now but it was about 2/3 inches deep, we found her on top of her little box :(

Oh no poor thing!

What is the flooring in the shed? To be honest I'd want to replace it before putting a bun back in, especially if it is porus like wood, if it was sitting in sewerage overnight it would have soaked in.

As for bun I would probably phone a vet for advice, I'm not sure what a bun could get from human waste but sewerage normally has harsh cleaning products like bleach mixed in which I would actually be more worried about!

Oh no poor thing!

What is the flooring in the shed? To be honest I'd want to replace it before putting a bun back in, especially if it is porus like wood, if it was sitting in sewerage overnight it would have soaked in.

As for bun I would probably phone a vet for advice, I'm not sure what a bun could get from human waste but sewerage normally has harsh cleaning products like bleach mixed in which I would actually be more worried about!
Thank you so much, after her bath she seems fine, she is a little grumpy but she's always funny like that, its a stone flooring so we have jet washed it :) I will disinfect it too x

Nasty, I'm glad she was sensible enough to jump up on the box.

It might be worth looking at drainage so if it happened again there was a way for the water to flow elsewhere (would just need to be a small pipe at the lowest point. Obviously a couple of inches of water is a drowning hazard for a rabbit.

A good disinfect is a sensible precaution, I'd use bleach or a good vet grade disinfectant. If you call the vets they can give you advice, I don't think they'll suggest anything if she's well other than keeping eye but it's not something that comes up much!

Back