• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marking the End of an Era-Updated Friday 4th December

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
As my Rabbit keeping days draw to a close I hope no-one minds me starting this thread where I'd like to post photos that represent specific times during the last 18 years.

My very first three Rabbits, bought on a whim from Petsmart (now P@H). I knew absolutely nothing about Rabbits. I had only gone into the store to buy some dog biscuits. The following 18 years have been a never ending learning curve

And here I thought that Bea was just getting a bit fat...................

First harsh lesson learned, Bucks remain fertile for SEVERAL weeks after castration.............

I had bought another Rabbit from a local garden centre, a Caster Rex Buck whom I named 'Seamus'.

I had him neutered and was told it'd be 'fine' for him to go back with the Four Does he lived with after a couple of DAYS, although I actually kept him separate for well over 4 weeks.On being returned to his harem he impregnated ALL of them. In a mater of 48 hours my Rabbit family grew by another 15 Rabbits. I kept all of the Kits for their entire lives.

Now and again I'll add more photos and brief stories to this thread. Hope some of my RU friends will enjoy following it xx

Last edited:
Jane, I'm quite new here but I love reading all your posts. Your knowledge is amazing. I've kept rabbits twice as long as you and you know far more than I do. Keep it all coming.

Our journeys with rabbits all start somewhere, usually accompanied by the mistakes we made, but our mistakes make us better and we learn from them, I'd love to hear more xx

It will be lovely to have all their histories on one thread, nice and easy to understand and follow.
We all make mistakes Jane, when I look back to my first rabbit Dusty, I cringe at my lack of knowledge.
We live and learn :) (Hopefully)

Wow that's amazing you kept all the kits! It's interesting hearing about your rabbit history and I look forward to hearing more :D

What a lovely thread, it will be wonderful to learn all about your rabbit family right from the very beginning xx

Thanks for sharing. :love: I'm not online as much these days Jane, but I often think of you and how much you have helped so many RU bunnies as well as caring for your own.

Our journeys with rabbits all start somewhere, usually accompanied by the mistakes we made, but our mistakes make us better and we learn from them, I'd love to hear more xx

This :thumb:

I look forward to the next chapter - what did you call all the little ones?

Great thread. I've never had bunnies from birth, although adopted a mum and two of her babies when I volunteered at a rescue and fell in love with them as I watched them develop.

How did you cope with your fur family growing so large so quickly?

Great thread. I've never had bunnies from birth, although adopted a mum and two of her babies when I volunteered at a rescue and fell in love with them as I watched them develop.

How did you cope with your fur family growing so large so quickly?

With hindsight, badly !

Sorry about the poor picture quality, I didn't have a digital camera in those days so I am having to take photos of the original prints.

These are the other 7 babies, six belonged to Hattie, a little crossbreed

From left to right- Jane, Adam, Nikki, Joanne, Fran & Eve. Nikki died under GA for her spay :cry:

Billie feeding from his Mum Georgia and the other Doe is Laura. Her 3 kits were all still born :cry: Billie developed idiopathic epilepsy when he hit puberty. But despite that he lived for 7.5 years.

It was a nightmare 48 hours, I was absolutely terrified. I had absolutely no idea of how to care for new borns and Nursing Does and there was no RU to turn to !!
I went to an RSPCA animal hospital, but their 'advice' was pretty drastic :cry: and not something I would ever have agreed to. So I learned by trial and error and a lot of terror.

Back