• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming, Vaccinations, Flystrike and De-Fleaing.

I have a few questions on Woming, Vaccinations, Flystrike and De-Fleaing.

What products would you recommend for worming rabbits and how often do you have to do it?
How often do you have to Vaccinate your rabbits for myxomatosis and Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease (RHD)?
What products would you recommend for preventing flystrike and preventing flys around the hutch area?
Do you have to de-flea your rabbits?

Thanks, sorry that there are so many questions!
:D

Don't apologise. Ask away. Here are the answers in the order which you asked.

It is not recommended to routinely worm rabbits. Worming should only be done if you see worms. The product used for worming is also used to treat E.cunniculi so it is recommended that it is not over used as it is feared it will be less effective when actually needed.

Rabbits have the combined vaccination annually

Flystrike is prevented by good husbandy and not letting rabbits get overweight. Rabbits which as considered to be high risk (disabled, incontinent or have open wounds) can be preventatively treated with products such as Rearguard or F10 but it is not recommended for average rabbits. Fly screens can also help keep flies out as well as the use of citronella.

I don't think most people routinely de-flea their rabbits unless they are routinely coming into contact with other animals which are carrying fleas. If that is the case then I would suggest using Advantage. Mites are a more common rabbit parasite. If rabbits have these then they can be treated with Ivermectin but again, there is no need to do this routinely.

Thanks!
Also, how much (on average) would the vaccinations cost?
This may not fit in with this section of the forum, but would you recommend micro-chipping rabbits?

Cost really depends on the vet. I pay £45 per vaccination but all vets are different and you will have to speak to yours about it. My rabbits are chipped as the rescue I got them from chips all rabbits. I think it's a good idea as it makes life much easier if they escape and are handed in but obviously that only works if the place they've been handed into thinks to scan them.

Don't apologise. Ask away. Here are the answers in the order which you asked.

It is not recommended to routinely worm rabbits. Worming should only be done if you see worms. The product used for worming is also used to treat E.cunniculi so it is recommended that it is not over used as it is feared it will be less effective when actually needed.

Rabbits have the combined vaccination annually

Flystrike is prevented by good husbandy and not letting rabbits get overweight. Rabbits which as considered to be high risk (disabled, incontinent or have open wounds) can be preventatively treated with products such as Rearguard or F10 but it is not recommended for average rabbits. Fly screens can also help keep flies out as well as the use of citronella.

I don't think most people routinely de-flea their rabbits unless they are routinely coming into contact with other animals which are carrying fleas. If that is the case then I would suggest using Advantage. Mites are a more common rabbit parasite. If rabbits have these then they can be treated with Ivermectin but again, there is no need to do this routinely.

Totally agree with all the above :thumb:

My vet charge £24 for vaccinations so it's worth shopping around

Rescue rabbits should be up to date on vaccinations, but the rabbit will need boosters paid for by you annually for the rest of their lives. Rescues can't afford to provide boosters for adopted out rabbits as they still have to pay the vet for the vaccinations!

My vets charge about £30 for a vaccination. It's only once a year for that :)

microchipping is cheap and the RSPCA sometimes do special weekends for around £10. I'm not sure how much a vet charges but I don't think it's more than £30

Back