• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Escapee!

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Had a bit of a fright this afternoon!
Saw the neighbours adorable cat in the garden, it looked totally freaked out staring towards the gate, so went to open patio doors to see if it was ok and saw Flo sat by the gate! Cat ran off and Flo hopped around her hutch on the patio. Luckily she was pretty calm so I quickly scooped her up!
Went to put her back in her run and saw one of the doors was wide open...mummy must have accidentally left it open from this morning :shock::oops:

Thankfully she's fine - though slightly annoyed - I think she was enjoying her free reign of the garden and terrorising the neighbours cat :lol: I did have to have a sit down and a cuppa after though !

Anyone else have any escapee stories?

Omg.. So glad she's okay! But it's so scary isn't it?!

I'll never forget when I was younger and my first bun.. Tango was 7 and the little devil had dug out of his run. We were lucky living in Wales & was just surrounded by fields. I came home from school & looked out my bedroom window as I was getting changed to go & see tango. As I looked I saw a little orange bunny in the middle of literally a 2 acre field! I was so excited thinking it was another rabbit & went to have a closer look. As I did I quickly noticed it was tango! Never been so scared in my life, I got the whole family of 6 out with me as we approached him. He was cool & chilled as, probably exhausted & just came running straight to me.

After that we had mesh down & bricks around his run! Lol! Looking back, I now realise just how lucky we were as he could have been out their for hours!

My current bunnies are house buns so no Chance of them escaping just yet! :lol: xx

Omg.. So glad she's okay! But it's so scary isn't it?!

I'll never forget when I was younger and my first bun.. Tango was 7 and the little devil had dug out of his run. We were lucky living in Wales & was just surrounded by fields. I came home from school & looked out my bedroom window as I was getting changed to go & see tango. As I looked I saw a little orange bunny in the middle of literally a 2 acre field! I was so excited thinking it was another rabbit & went to have a closer look. As I did I quickly noticed it was tango! Never been so scared in my life, I got the whole family of 6 out with me as we approached him. He was cool & chilled as, probably exhausted & just came running straight to me.

After that we had mesh down & bricks around his run! Lol! Looking back, I now realise just how lucky we were as he could have been out their for hours!

My current bunnies are house buns so no Chance of them escaping just yet! :lol: xx

Wow that was lucky that you saw him though!
I have no idea how long Flo was outside for - it was about 4-5 hours since I'd seen her in the afternoon and I was just about to go out shopping. Luckily I saw the cat otherwise Flo may have been out for longer and found a way to get out (garden is not very secure)!

Mine are all house buns, but there have been times I forgot to latch a door and there is a bunny on my bed when I look round. Or times when I tried to get a bunny back into it's enclosure and it was a total fail with bunny jumping out of my arms and going for a lark without me. :roll:
I've gotten better at keeping them from a wander now, thank goodness, but you just never know...and I am so OCD I have to check and recheck and re-recheck...etc.
Would've paid good money to see the look on the cat's face though! :lol: My little minirex, Fiver, once charged my Griff kitty because he dared to touch his nose to Fiver's toy...poor cat couldn't get away fast enough! :lol:

When I was a child, we had the most beautiful New Zealand White called Snowy, he should have been called Houdini.

One day he escaped and I remember looking everywhere for him. We went all around the local housing estate and park shouting his name, asking people. We spent ages looking and that decided to go home and start looking the other way, when a man asked if we were looking for a white rabbit. He was the caretaker of the local school and had found him. When we went to collect him, he was sat in the headmasters office eating lettuce. :shock:

Another couple of times, he escaped and our neighbours a few doors down found him late at night and rather then wake us up took him in. He used to sleep on their bed. :lol:

When I was a child, our bunny used to escape and always went straight to next door's veg patch. We thought it was brilliant - neighbour not so much. But we always get him back.

Waffles and DP don't dig. Outside I used to extend their run and once when they got used to it they both made a dash for it when the extension wasn't on. I caught DP before he escaped but Waffles casually hopped to the end of the garden and found a dandelion leaf to chew whilst I walked over and picked her up. DP would be far less easy to catch but I've never had to.

Inside, we've not put the barrier up properly twice. Once they hopped down the hall but as soon as we went to see what was going on, they came over for treats.
The second time Waffles hopped straight over to OH to see what he was up to and have nose rubs.

But they are microchipped just in case, and we will be bunny proofing the garden as I would be devastated to lose them

When we went to collect him, he was sat in the headmasters office eating lettuce. :shock:

Another couple of times, he escaped and our neighbours a few doors down found him late at night and rather then wake us up took him in. He used to sleep on their bed. :lol:
Sounds like he enjoyed himself! :D

Charlie (agouti Nethie, 1987-1998 ) escaped a few times. If he went either of the next-doors we'd go and collect him, but when he went three door's down, by the time my Dad went and knocked on the door, he'd come back! He didn't eat anything but a bit of hay, a bit of grass, the occasional dandelion and his muesli, so he had to come back for food! He never escaped when we brought him inside for his bum-wash, even though the barriers were only a foot tall! He did have a half-hearted chew at them though (they were bench-seats for a dining set). He was pretty lazy, and probably fat ;P

Lopsy escaped when he was inside a few times too: he can jump at least 2.5'. He was devastated that the interesting food was inside his run, not outside where he was, so he had to eat only hay all day! And no water. He jumped out of the run hatch while I was watching him as well, little beggar. He had great fun exploring round some boxes while I made a trail of pellets to get him back in: it worked! He's never escaped outside though, even when he's had plenty of opportunity: he'd rather run down the tunnel! Presumably because he knows there's food at the end :D

Back