• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray and what to put in it

mariposa

Mama Doe
We're going to keep our house rabbit (mini lop - we chose him today :love:) in a large pen and am wondering what's best to use as a litter tray - a cat one (if so, what size?) or a small animal one like this?
Also, what do you put in the litter tray? I don't think we can use cat litter (or at least some types) and don't want to use sawdust in the house.

Thank you in advance!

Large underbed storage boxes are very popular. I line with newspaper and then thick layer of hay. (Wood shavings/sawdust are not recommended anyway as they can cause respiratory problems).

Not sure whether you know that rabbits are much happier in pairs - opposite sex usually work best - and obviously neutered when they are old enough.

Thank you, will have a look at those. Also meant to ask - do you clean with a special disinfectant or just hot soapy water?

Yes, I've read a lot about keeping rabbits in pairs but as he'll be a house rabbit he'll get lots of attention from us. We don't really have room for two where we are now, but he'll be getting lots and lots of attention :)

Well, I use a special disinfectant, as used by vets, but I think that some people use a mixture of white vinegar and water which you can put into a spray. What is your housing - a large dog crate with a run attached?

Thank you! No, it'll be a large pen like the pictures in the "indoor housing thread" and he'll get exercise in the bunny-proofed parts of our flat too.

ETA: Thanks Tonibun as well - our posts crossed paths!

Sounds as though he's going to be a very lucky bunny (personally, though, I'd still have 2 as they don't really take up any more space, but perhaps I'm biased when I see my pair cuddled up together/grooming each other.;) )

Thank you! No, it'll be a large pen like the pictures in the "indoor housing thread" and he'll get exercise in the bunny-proofed parts of our flat too.

ETA: Thanks Tonibun as well - our posts crossed paths!

I use newspaper and hay in litter trays. I clean them by washing in soapy water, and to remove residue, I soak for a short time in diluted white vinegar.

You can also disinfect using a 10% bleach solution.

I use Wood Pellet Cat Litter & hay :)

Nothing beats watching them snuggle & clean each other either :love:

I am thinking about changing my corner litter tray for an underbed storage box and lining with newspaper / filling with hay. Main thing holding me back is that I have 2 white rabbits - will the combination of newspaper & urine / poo stain their feet really badly? It irritates me slightly just now that their feet don't look clean - I use megazorb & hay in their tray and clean it out every day but I feel I'm not doing well enough because their feet look dirty lol.

Would puppy training pads be a better option? Or would newspaper be just as good (and cheaper!)

we use a medium sized cat litter tray. lavender sawdust as base and covered with hay. we clean it with a disinfectant.

garden potting tray and an underbed storage box with newspaper, fitch/finacard and then loads of hay :)

i use the confi2clean products to clean them (spray or wipes) :)

Back