• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! - Rabbit Stopped Eating (Eating again!)

WelshieBun

Young Bun
Hi everyone, in a bit of a panic today.

George has stopped eating. He didn't eat any fresh hay that I put out for him this morning, he didn't come for his greens and when I tried to get him to eat them, he jumped back into his hutch. He refused to eat a slice of apple, too - apple is his favourite.
Usually when I go down to his hutch to let him out into the run, he is rattling his teeth along the bars and stamping his feet with impatience. Today, he was sleeping, in the darker area of the hutch where his litter tray is. He was very lethargic and let me stroke him a lot before I picked him up and threw him out of the hutch myself (Not literally ;3). He immediately ran to The Corner (he has claimed a corner, yes) and resumed his nap. He refused to run to the gate for his greens, and the most active he has been is when he was trying to avoid the slice of apple.

Nibbles had a funny turn before, at night, where he just froze and refused to eat or move. After I gave him some apple and carrot, he was perfectly normal. I'm worried, though, that this is more serious. Does anyone know what's going on?

Edit: Okay, now I'm REALLY scared. It could be stasis, which is what Nibbles died from, and I don't want George to go the same way. In tears now, hope someone figures this out. In the meantime I'll try and get him to the vet ASAP.

Edit #2: My sister recently got a new Guinea pig, no idea if this is affecting him? The Guinea pig's hutch is near George's, but they don't go near each other. Hope someone knows how to treat them while I wait for the vets. Is there anything I can do right now to help him?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, in a bit of a panic today.

George has stopped eating. He didn't eat any fresh hay that I put out for him this morning, he didn't come for his greens and when I tried to get him to eat them, he jumped back into his hutch. He refused to eat a slice of apple, too - apple is his favourite.
Usually when I go down to his hutch to let him out into the run, he is rattling his teeth along the bars and stamping his feet with impatience. Today, he was sleeping, in the darker area of the hutch where his litter tray is. He was very lethargic and let me stroke him a lot before I picked him up and threw him out of the hutch myself (Not literally ;3). He immediately ran to The Corner (he has claimed a corner, yes) and resumed his nap. He refused to run to the gate for his greens, and the most active he has been is when he was trying to avoid the slice of apple.

Nibbles had a funny turn before, at night, where he just froze and refused to eat or move. After I gave him some apple and carrot, he was perfectly normal. I'm worried, though, that this is more serious. Does anyone know what's going on?

Edit: Okay, now I'm REALLY scared. It could be stasis, which is what Nibbles died from, and I don't want George to go the same way. In tears now, hope someone figures this out. In the meantime I'll try and get him to the vet ASAP.

Getting him to a Vet this morning is the best thing you can do for him. It sounds as though he is already quite poorly so the sooner he is started on treatment the better the prognosis. I hope that he will feel better soon xx

My mum hadn't even considered taking him to the vet, which offends and worries me. He is getting better, more awake and chewed a little on the pellets I gave him. Is this a good sign? Considered eating a dried out sweetcorn, but hasn't actually eaten anything yet. Ate his pellets last night.

Guys, don't worry - panic over.
I'm still crying, but smiling as I do it because George is eating again! My mum went out to hang up the wet washing and she called to me through my window, saying George was eating the grass. And he was - happily munching away on all the treats we'd given him to try and get him to eat. He's a so-and-so x3

Guys, don't worry - panic over.
I'm still crying, but smiling as I do it because George is eating again! My mum went out to hang up the wet washing and she called to me through my window, saying George was eating the grass. And he was - happily munching away on all the treats we'd given him to try and get him to eat. He's a so-and-so x3

Just logged on to read your panic and now your relief! Great news! (Especially on a Bank Holiday weekend :shock:)

Back