• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Rejection

Lillie

New Kit
I got a new dog yesterday and I'm very worried that my rabbit will start to feel rejected. He's one year old and we bought him at around 4 months. At the time, we had a different dog and a cat. They both passed away earlier this year. When they died, we started to let him run around the house and the garden freely but with suppervison. Now that we have a dog again, it will be more difficult for us to let him do these things when we have a very playful dog (she was a stray that we adopted so she protects herself and can be quite harmful to my rabbit if she gets near him). We keep him inside our conservatory and close the door so the dog can't get in. We've been keeping him there since we got him. Is there anything I can do to reassure him that I still love him as much as I did before we got the dog? I don't want him to think he's being replaced.

How about getting another rabbit as a friend for yours so he doesn't feel lonely?

I got a new dog yesterday and I'm very worried that my rabbit will start to feel rejected. He's one year old and we bought him at around 4 months. At the time, we had a different dog and a cat. They both passed away earlier this year. When they died, we started to let him run around the house and the garden freely but with suppervison. Now that we have a dog again, it will be more difficult for us to let him do these things when we have a very playful dog (she was a stray that we adopted so she protects herself and can be quite harmful to my rabbit if she gets near him). We keep him inside our conservatory and close the door so the dog can't get in. We've been keeping him there since we got him. Is there anything I can do to reassure him that I still love him as much as I did before we got the dog? I don't want him to think he's being replaced.

I think as others have said, get him a friend, but please don't neglect his quality of life. I'm not saying you would, but a playful dog will take away a lot of attention!

One of my rabbits came to me as his owners got a dog and therefore the rabbit could no longer play freely in the garden. By the time I had him, he had spent nearly a year in a small cage with no access to the outdoors he so clearly loves.

A friend for your rabbit will at least mean that if his play/attention time is restricted, he will have someone to cuddle/love and groom x

He's not very fond of other rabbits :/

Only a small percentage of rabbits instantly like other rabbits - there is a whole process to go through whilst they learn to trust each other, its all well worth the effort.

Have you tried bonding him to other rabbits before?

When he was in the pet store, they kept him away from other rabbits as he didn't get along with them

Sadly this is a common story from pet stores - fortunately it's great news for your rabbit. Rabbits make friends when their environment is nice (it sounds like your bun had it really good before the pup arrived), they need space (lots) & to be neutered for things to work out. Pet stores & cages make many a lovely rabbit grumpy & aggressive.

i'd advise talking things through with a rescue, (your bunny will need neutering first). Your bunny deserves & needs as much space & companionship as your puppy - they don't bark & whine though so don't demand it. It's clear you care as you came here to post. I'd ensure the dog & bunny spaces are securely separate so bun feels secure. good luck

Sadly this is a common story from pet stores - fortunately it's great news for your rabbit. Rabbits make friends when their environment is nice (it sounds like your bun had it really good before the pup arrived), they need space (lots) & to be neutered for things to work out. Pet stores & cages make many a lovely rabbit grumpy & aggressive.

i'd advise talking things through with a rescue, (your bunny will need neutering first). Your bunny deserves & needs as much space & companionship as your puppy - they don't bark & whine though so don't demand it. It's clear you care as you came here to post. I'd ensure the dog & bunny spaces are securely separate so bun feels secure. good luck

^^ What Joey&Boo said ... Pet shops often have as much rabbit knowledge and experience as, well ..... flying?

Back