• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy's spay!

PoppyRabbit

Warren Scout
We moved house this week into a proper house with a garden! The builders however fitted new carpets but forgot to rehang the doors, so none of them shut! This meant Poppy has to stay in her indoor cage when we're out as it isn't safe for her to be out when unsupervised :-(
I decided to book her in for her spay with the vets next door as i figured it would buy us enough time to get a second babygate and to further bunnyproof the craft room again :)
Poppy came home from her spay about half an hour ago!
They said she was very well behaved for a small bunny :)
They gave her 3 days of metacam and want to see her back in 5 days to check how she is doing.
She now weighs 1.3kg so she still needs to put on weight!
Ive offered her lots of food and will keep an eye on her for the next few days, she is so wobbly bless her!
I feel very mean!

48f7c1df7d78c9255d96cace2cb921ea.jpg

Anyone have any further tips?

Glad her spay went well, she probably won't want pellets for the first few days so make sure you've got loads of her favourite bribes!
Bella was spayed on Tuesday and now she's eating pellets again she will stand up to let me check her wound!

Hope she heals well, she'll be back to herself before you know it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hope Poppy recovers well from her spay. Just keep her quiet for a few days, she will probably like to eat grass or greens rather than pellets for now. Vets next door sounds very handy! :)

Poppy cant eat fresh veg or fruit :-( it goes straight through her delicate tummy.
Ive given her hay wit dried herbs etc, some fibafirst sticks and some pellets so that she can pick what she wants to eat :)

Aww bless her ! Sounds like you are doing everything right. Just keep an eye on her eating is most important thing!

Poppy cant eat fresh veg or fruit :-( it goes straight through her delicate tummy.
Ive given her hay wit dried herbs etc, some fibafirst sticks and some pellets so that she can pick what she wants to eat :)

Herbs are gentler on the stomach than veggies anyway :)
Bella had dried herbs & forage & she was picking at them because they were more natural, by the next day she was eating pellets and fibafirst though it takes some rabbits a few days to gain interest in pellets again
As long as she's eating, that's the most important part...I let my two have the choice of whatever food they wanted the first few days whoops :lol: Xx

She still hasn't eaten anything since she came home at 3pm. She had a wee when she first got into her cage but no poos then or since.
I offered her a dandelion leaf and she won't eat it.
I offered her some ellas kitchen fruit puree (two types) on my finger and she wont even lick it.
She seemed to be a little cold and shivery earlier so i gave her a little hot water bottle in a fleecy cover (with just hot tap water) and she seems better now.
She is just all laying down and that's it!

Did she have any pain killers before she left the surgery do you know?

They gave me metacam and told me to give her some tomorrow morning 0.25ml dose and if i needed to mix it with babyfood to get her to take it then ok. She didn't mention if/when Poppy had painkillers today.
I didn't see a vet before or after she went in for it, just a nurse who explained she would be groggy and off her food for a few days. Nurse said Poppy had had a little nibble of the food i took in for her but that was it.

They gave me metacam and told me to give her some tomorrow morning 0.25ml dose and if i needed to mix it with babyfood to get her to take it then ok.
I didn't see a vet before or after she went in for it, just a nurse who explained she would be groggy. Nurse said Poppy had had a little nibbke of the food i took in for her but that was it.

When B&B were spayed the nurses said to me after that they'd had a pain relief injection and so they wouldn't need metacam till the next morning

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along!

The nurse did mention that Poppy was really good for her injections and that she had had lots of them, one a 20ml huge one which made a big bump but she said that was normal.
So possibly she has already had some pain killers today :)

The nurse did mention that Poppy was really good for her injections and that she had had lots of them, one a 20ml huge one which made a big bump but she said that was normal.

I did guess she had but I didn't just want to assume :)
Hope she starts nibbling soon x

She still hasn't eaten anything but she started producing ceacotrophes. She won't eat it though and can't reach to clean it off so she has it all over her feet and underbelly :-(
So ive mopped it up as best i can so she doesn't get it in her wound and then left her for the night.

We moved house this week into a proper house with a garden! The builders however fitted new carpets but forgot to rehang the doors, so none of them shut! This meant Poppy has to stay in her indoor cage when we're out as it isn't safe for her to be out when unsupervised :-(
I decided to book her in for her spay with the vets next door as i figured it would buy us enough time to get a second babygate and to further bunnyproof the craft room again :)
Poppy came home from her spay about half an hour ago!
They said she was very well behaved for a small bunny :)
They gave her 3 days of metacam and want to see her back in 5 days to check how she is doing.
She now weighs 1.3kg so she still needs to put on weight!
Ive offered her lots of food and will keep an eye on her for the next few days, she is so wobbly bless her!
I feel very mean!

48f7c1df7d78c9255d96cace2cb921ea.jpg

Anyone have any further tips?

She is adorable!
First, do NOT feel mean. I did not spay my Black Velvet when she was younger and she developed several huge uterine growths that required more invasive surgery to be removed.
Second, you are already keeping her on a soft surface.
Third, you are already keeping her in a contained area so she does not get tempted to jump around to much until after her vet visit.
Fourth, her first pees may be tinged a little pink . Anything more requires a call to the vet.
Fifth, watch her intake and output closely over the next few days and call your vet if you have concerns--they will tell you what is OK or if she needs a recheck sooner.

The 20ml injection that make a big bump was likely sub-Q fluids. It keeps your bunny hydrated right after surgery.
You invoice may tell you if she had a pain injection.

Last edited:
I didn't get an invoice :-o
She still won't eat anything (looks to me like she hasn't touched anything in her cage) but she still pooing but they are soft. Can't see that she has had a wee though since that very first one :-(
She refused her medicine, i had to force her to take it, i think i got most of the dose in her but in future my fiance can do that bit (i defer to his animal handling skills regularly).
Unsure if she needs to go back to see a vet today though. I have to go to work at 2.30 til 9.30pm.

Have you tried some fresh grass - this is what they like the best after an operation. She will start to nibble later this evening or over night possibly but if she still isn't eating tomorrow then I would speak to the Vet. It's Sunday tom orrow but there should be a vet on duty. She's had a big week, moving to a new house, then having a major op, it's a lot for a bunny to assimilate isn't it, so if you can find some grass or Dandelions these should tempt her to start eating a bit.

I did try dandelions but she wouldn't even sniff them. But ill go pick some more and some grass and see if she fancies that. Shes never had grass before lol

Back