• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth abscess - Candy abscess. RIP xx

Kim_perkins

Mama Doe
Candy had a review at the vets today.

The treatment isn't working, the infection in her jaw is massive and it's still leaking out puss.

The vet gave her honest opinion and said her outlook isn't good and it would be better to have her pts however it's my decision to keep on going with the injections in the hope that it works.

I'm so heartbroken. I don't know what to do she's perked up loads and eats but how long to we continue?

Last edited:
Candy had a review at the vets today.

The treatment isn't working, the infection in her jaw is massive and it's still leaking out puss.

The vet gave her honest opinion and said her outlook isn't good and it would be better to have her pts however it's my decision to keep on going with the injections in the hope that it works.

I'm so heartbroken. I don't know what to do she's perked up loads and eats but how long to we continue?

I am assuming that by 'the infection in her jaw' you mean that she has osteomyelitis (infection in the actual jaw bone) ?

In my opinion it's early days re an abscess healing successfully.

Constant twice daily cleaning of the abscess cavity and every day injections of Depocillin and you have the very best chance. Even if after a couple of weeks the abscess hole closes up, and even if it subsequently fills up again with pus THERE IS STILL HOPE!!

I have had this happen, and after hitting it as hard as possible with the meds and cleaning, the rabbits I've treated have remained symptom free for the rest of their lives.

Yes Jane sorry I don't know the terminology :( it's in her jaw bone.

They advise every other day I'm going back on Saturday and will speak to them.

I'm devastated she is my soul bunny :(

With my two that had massive amounts of lower jaw involvement, I kept up the treatment (Depocillin type injections and metacam) daily, fed them a sensible diet but in a format that they would eat (chopped / grated / mush etc) for as long as they were willing and happy. Dentals and affected tissue were sorted out as required - depending on when their weight and general 'off it' vibes. They were happy bunnies for over a year each, despite being on FHB's shortlist of half a dozen worst cases and lots of hands-on treatment. In the end, both died very quickly. One was shortly after 2 GAs when the infection took over and he never recovered properly and died overnight at the vet's. The other died very suddenly at home one morning in a matter of hours. She went from OK to RIP in a morning - again, due to an overwhelming infection.

If I had to do it again, I would just keep up with the daily meds and see how it goes a day at a time and take your cues from your rabbit. They seem able to put up with more than you think. You always have the option of PTS if it seems right at any time.

In the meantime, I would be asking for the opinion of the best bunny vet you have access to. If you can't get to them, they might give a phone referral ie talk you and your vet through any other options after looking at x-rays and your vet's notes.

Yes Jane sorry I don't know the terminology :( it's in her jaw bone.

They advise every other day I'm going back on Saturday and will speak to them.

I'm devastated she is my soul bunny :(

Then whilst it is unlikely that the abscess itself will resolve without extensive surgery, including removal of the infected bone, she could be kept comfortable for some time on a regime of permanent antibiotics. Also, Osteomyelitis can become very painful and Metacam alone may eventually not be enough. Tramadol is very useful for bone pain and it can be given alongside Metacam.

How much time this regime may buy her is impossible to say. But if at the moment she is 'fine within herself' then I'd just take things one day at a time.

:'( I'll see how it goes ...

Depocillin penetrates the bone. My friend is the person who conducted the extensive research on rabbit abscesses, leading to the radical change in treatment. Osteomylitis isn't the big bogey bear! I've had a rabbit who had that diagnosed for six years before he died of something completely unrelated!

I'm so distraught I can't think straight.
I'm going to see the vet on Saturday someone help me out in the right things to say do.
He is specialsit but I know he doesn't come across people as dedicated as we are to bunnies often.

So what should I ask for in terms of treatment?

So sorry to hear about Candy :( Blossom and Candy seem to be mirroring each other. His mouth is full of pus ... added problem now is that he has stopped eating to. We are almost treating that issue more than the abscess one! Is Candy still eating?

I agree that if they are ok in themselves then they are worth fighting for. Its just such a horrible worry though isn't it.

Is Candy ok with hands on treatment? Blossom doesn't at all, so we will not be going down the route of surgery and flushing as he will not cope and then its not fair on him at all. If Candy copes then maybe that's a route to go down.

I am sorry you have all this on your plate with 2 little ones.
My poor son is 18 on Saturday - not much celebrating in this house....

Take care and pm me for a good moan and scream if you need to. xx

Depocillin penetrates the bone. My friend is the person who conducted the extensive research on rabbit abscesses, leading to the radical change in treatment. Osteomylitis isn't the big bogey bear! I've had a rabbit who had that diagnosed for six years before he died of something completely unrelated!

I think Kim and I need you to move in with us!! :? ;)

My Milly had a horrible abscess in her jaw and after removing her molar on top of it, the vet put her on a long course of daily Duphapen injections (5 weeks I think)and he drilled a hole through her jaw to allow the pus to drain out of the bottom of the jaw which I had to flush with saline 3 times a day.Three months after her treatment shes still fine*touches wood*

I'm so sorry youre having a hard time with this.I really hope Candy shows some signs of improvement soon.x

I think Kim and I need you to move in with us!! :? ;)

I think so too!

It's awful! Candy tolerates any thing she will allow you to scrape her wound everything ... She's worth fighting for I love her so much she's just such a happy bunny has so much love to give and a huge character.

She had a stone in her bladder the siZe of a marble removed last year and bounced back.

The vets said the infection is bad but she has put on weight and she is eating her poops are getting bigger and healthier! Xx

I think so too!

It's awful! Candy tolerates any thing she will allow you to scrape her wound everything ... She's worth fighting for I love her so much she's just such a happy bunny has so much love to give and a huge character.

She had a stone in her bladder the siZe of a marble removed last year and bounced back.

The vets said the infection is bad but she has put on weight and she is eating her poops are getting bigger and healthier! Xx

The weight gain and the good poops can only be a good sign:thumb:

From what you have said, I think she is definitely worth fighting for. All rabbits are of course, but we have to take our lead from them and what they tolerate. Berry would have tolerated being flushed 3 times a day and scraped at but Blossom struggles with even a cotton pad touching his face so it would not be fair to him at all. Candy sounds a dream patient! XX

I've got enough reassurance from you guys to keep going, I've been a wreck crying my eyes out literally squeezing her to death lol

I know it's not time yet! I'm up early to go to gosh for the day with Ava so looks like candy is getting a 4am wake up call for cleaning!!

I am not sure what treatment she is on and what stage you are at with the abscess, if you could say here I might have some advice, I am going through the exact same thing with Hollie just now. She had overgrown tooth roots at the bottom and she recently had surgery to remove her abscess, but had not had her teeth removed.

Back