• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on Housing Please!

Newbunnies

Young Bun
Hi there,
We are getting two mini lops as first time rabbit owners. Before they arrive in mid September I want to get everything set up for them. At the moment I'm trying to choose between a couple of set ups and wondered if I might have your thoughts.

The first is this set up here:
http://homeandroost.co.uk/product/6ft-chartwell-double-rabbit-hutch-run-combo/

The advantage of this one is that it could be sited close to my house (I have a very large garden backing on to farmland and woods) which would be good in winter for nipping out to check on them etc and also perhaps as a fox deterrent. (I've seen foxes in my garden, so know there are lots around) Equally, you can buy insulating and rain covers that would fit both the hutch and run. I also feel if the rabbits are closer to the house my teen daughter will have more interaction with them than if they are at the end of our long garden on a dark, winter's night.

The second option is a variation of this: (in the 8x4 version, with a solid back and side on the run)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOGKENNEL...-KENNEL-RUN-/252066486548?hash=item3ab0555914

This would be good as you can walk in so great when it rains but is too tall to fit underneath the windows at the back of my house so would have to be on a paved area which is higher up the garden and out of sight. I would also need to attach an additional run at some point for extra space.
My worry with this type of set up is rats. Because we live in a semi rural area I worry that rats would chew their way in to this set up more easily as it is not as raised off the ground. Also, would I need to buy a hutch to go inside the sleeping area too? How would I ensure it was warm enough in winter/cool enough in summer? I've spoken to the man that makes them and he uses 19g 1x1/2 wire, so that is fine escape/fox wise, but I'm worried about rats chewing in.

I have read lots of stories about rats getting into sheds- and my sister in laws rabbit was attacked by a rat (but luckily survived) whilst living in their shed, hence my worry.

Any advice on which would be the best set up in terms of comfort for the buns, ease of use for us, and protection from foxes/rodents would be great. I'm trying to do this correctly so if there is something I'm missing please let me know!
Thanks for your help.

Hello :wave: I think the first set up is perfectly fine and they'd be more than happy in that! The second set up would be more suitable for you to get into but your worry about the rats and having to be out of sight won't ease your mind.

I think the first option, although a beautiful hutch and run, would not be suitable if you have foxes in your garden. They could come right up to the wire, which is not foxproof, and jump onto the run in order to get close to the hutch, scaring the rabbits.

A lot of folk have a Playhouse attached to an aviary which gives the rabbits more protection from foxes. They are not as high as a kennel so might fit under your window. They also provide more protection from the weather. You can stand the playouse and the aviary on slabs to deter rats, but foxes are more of a problem.

Ah, I hadn't thought about the foxes jumping on the run- you're right. I'll have to look into aviaries, I haven't seen any of those. This is why this site is great- thank you!

An aviary could be an option - you can also get them as custom made or panels. You could use your house wall as the fourth side (also works out cheaper) and have the windows opening into the aviary i.e. the roof would be above the window level. Although you want to keep the mesh near the ground small - I'd do 1/2"x1" you could go up a size e.g. 1" square for the upper half and it would be fairly see through looking as the mesh would be away from the window and only one layer. Then you could have a hutch inside the aviary (pop it on legs to give them access to the space underneath).

You can use clear corrugated roofing to rain proof without reducing light and of course the house would help with sheltering it.

With foxes near by it might also be worth double meshing the lower half for extra security (mesh the inside and the outside of the frame). You can offset the mesh if you want to give an even finer finish.

With rats, feeding rabbits right will help. So mainly hay, then a limited amount of pellets that they will eat quickly and then go for forage type greens - e.g. rats are less interested in bramble leaves than carrots :)

Back