• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pulling Stitches

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
Earlier today I noticed Dave tugging at something from underneath him, I thought it was some fur but I've just looked at his neuter incision and some of the stitching thread is visible. It's been two weeks since his op so I'm hoping the glue has done its work, but should I be concerned by this thread that's now appeared? I imagine he will continue to pull it out until there's nothing left of it :shock:

When my girl bun Pepper was neutered she pulled her stitches the night we got her home, when we looked we could see the wound starting to open so straight back to the vets. This time they stapled her, we counted five staples. Next day there were only three ... back to the vets it was. Two staples added back in, a trip to the pet shop for a cat cone to stop her munching on the wound, a sleepless night followed ensuring she ate her cecals. Finally the wound started to heal and down the line she was healed! I would go by as long as you cant see any insides i.e. redness or seeping, then he should be fine, if you did take him to the vets they would probably just cut the bit that is showing off to stop him pulling it! Cheeky little things aren't they?

When my girl bun Pepper was neutered she pulled her stitches the night we got her home, when we looked we could see the wound starting to open so straight back to the vets. This time they stapled her, we counted five staples. Next day there were only three ... back to the vets it was. Two staples added back in, a trip to the pet shop for a cat cone to stop her munching on the wound, a sleepless night followed ensuring she ate her cecals. Finally the wound started to heal and down the line she was healed! I would go by as long as you cant see any insides i.e. redness or seeping, then he should be fine, if you did take him to the vets they would probably just cut the bit that is showing off to stop him pulling it! Cheeky little things aren't they?

Very cheeky indeed. Chloe and Barney pulled their stitches out instantly too! I had one in a vest and one with a cone so I know about those sleepless nights. Daves been surprisingly good so far so I just hope it doesn't all go t*** up on the last stretch. The vet said it was healing well on Monday and now this!

When Doughnut was spayed she had glue inside and stitches outside. She had nibbled some of her stitches but it was ok as the wound had closed by then so no damage done. Just check the wound is closed, I should imagine it's fine since it's been a while but best to check.

When Doughnut was spayed she had glue inside and stitches outside. She had nibbled some of her stitches but it was ok as the wound had closed by then so no damage done. Just check the wound is closed, I should imagine it's fine since it's been a while but best to check.

The wound looks really good to be honest, I'm just hoping him pulling out the remaining thread which he's bound to do doesn't cause any damage.

It should be healed up after two weeks - it will just be the disolvable stitches not disolved yet. You could trim them off with scissors if he is cooperative, might just be tickling him :)

Just thought I'd update this. Dave hasn't bothered with the hanging thread from his bits! :lol: So all is still looking fine

Back