• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I attempt bonding ?

Panjanda

Alpha Buck
Hi I have Marley a nine month old neutered Belgian Hare who is a very spoilt bunny, I have last week got him a girl friend.
She is an eleven week old Belgian Hare so not spayed yet as too young.
Marley has made it quite clear he isn't happy with her arrival and mt vet has advised bonding sooner rather than later.
I thought I had to wait till she was spayed but have been told this isn't the case.......so when and how do I start the bonding or do I send them away for someone else to do it for me ?
Thank you x

I wonder why Marley isn't happy with the arrival of the new bunny? Are you sure it is a girl? And have you a very neutral place to introduce them? It would be a bit unsettling to have to send her away to be bonded so soon after getting her. tbh I am not sure what I would do, she is so young .

I wonder why Marley isn't happy with the arrival of the new bunny? Are you sure it is a girl? And have you a very neutral place to introduce them? It would be a bit unsettling to have to send her away to be bonded so soon after getting her. tbh I am not sure what I would do, she is so young .

Yes the vet says she is a girl x
It could be because she is in the shed he used to be in before I moved him to his new shed, he may still see it as his territory.
I was advised to let them see each other and sniff through the wire but Marley was trying to get to her in an aggressive way....tail in the air and lunging at the wire.
So I was then advised this isn't good as it could lead to a difficult bond.
I could find a neutral place to bond in the house, I'm reluctant to send them away at the moment as she has only just arrived x

Sometimes wire inbetween sort of frustrates them making them behave more aggressively. If you put them together as you probably know, you will have to be right there in case he attacks her as she is only a baby. At least if that happens you will know to wait until she is older.

Sometimes wire inbetween sort of frustrates them making them behave more aggressively. If you put them together as you probably know, you will have to be right there in case he attacks her as she is only a baby. At least if that happens you will know to wait until she is older.

Maybe I should try a car trip with them first x

I tried to bond Rosie and Pie with a car trip and they sat together in the car lovely and all hell broke loose back at home :roll:

But I do,know this works for some, I don't think it worked for me as Rosie had a trip,from Dublin to Birmingham 7 hours or so;) so a 20 min car trip is nothing for her :lol:

I tried to bond Rosie and Pie with a car trip and they sat together in the car lovely and all hell broke loose back at home :roll:

But I do,know this works for some, I don't think it worked for me as Rosie had a trip,from Dublin to Birmingham 7 hours or so;) so a 20 min car trip is nothing for her :lol:

:lol::lol: I don't agree with car trips, I give mine plenty of space with lots to do and most of my bonds are a success! :D

I've only done car trips as as very last resort - the first car trip happened to coincide with a trip for vacinations for one of them and the 2nd car trip was because Lenny was frankly being a pain in the backside :D

I agree with Tonibuns method - large neural area with lots to do - AND lots of patience! We've bonded using this with the dating method - short dates, always ending on a good note and then gradually extending the time together (cuts down on human stress levels too :lol:)

I've only done car trips as as very last resort - the first car trip happened to coincide with a trip for vacinations for one of them and the 2nd car trip was because Lenny was frankly being a pain in the backside :D

I agree with Tonibuns method - large neural area with lots to do - AND lots of patience! We've bonded using this with the dating method - short dates, always ending on a good note and then gradually extending the time together (cuts down on human stress levels too :lol:)

Ok so short dates to start with then build the time up xx

I would be tempted to wait until she had been spayed and had time to recover. It will also be well past the breeding season by then.

They are going to make a truely stunning couple.

I would be tempted to wait until she had been spayed and had time to recover. It will also be well past the breeding season by then.

They are going to make a truely stunning couple.
Yes can't wait for them to be together, wanted them to bond ready for the cold winter nights brrrrrrr x

Back