• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny seemed to be in some sort of shock last night... but ok this morning

dcwales

New Kit
Morning,

We have a new bunny (Belle), she's a mini lop and around 4 months old. She's already a tripod after losing one of her front legs around a month ago, due to a double break (Was within 10 days of us having her and the pet insurance therefore being void!!!). So she's been through the wars.

She is a mischievous little thing and managed to get her other front leg stuck inside her hay-rack yesterday afternoon, for my girlfriend to find her a minute or two later thankfully, with just her bum up in the air, dangling over the top. We also have an indoor pen for her, so she can be left unsupervised! Yesterday evening my girlfriend walked into the room to see her jump into the pen and fall back on herself. Belle then went very quiet and deteriorated quite quickly. I got in a few hours later and she was limp. I was convinced she was a goner, I'm presuming from shock, but just did what we could and kept her warm. Couldn't get her to eat, or to drink, or seem interested in anything, she seemed like a complete dead weight. I stayed with her for a few hours and she slowly perked up, even to the point where she decided she wanted some of my Calipo ice lolly!!! I put her in her cage and was just hopeful she'd make it through the night. My relief this morning, when I finally plucked up the courage to walk into the room she stays in and see her sat up, chewing her edible rug!!

She's still not 100%, she's running around on times, being nosey etc, but not completely normal. If she was in shock, could she still be coming back to normal, the longer time goes by the more she seems to be herself.

We have noticed today though, that she had some feces grouped around her bum. On closer inspection, she had worms, which I'm pretty sure are pinworms all around the individual droppings! Could this lead to her being lethagic still? She's now eating and drinking normally. Any experience with this?

We are waiting for a call back from the vets with an appointment, but in the meantime both worried there's something more sinister still.

Whereabouts are you, do you have an emergency vets that you could take her to if something like that happens again at night. I would take the hay rack down and certainly see the vet today for a thorough check over.

Whereabouts are you, do you have an emergency vets that you could take her to if something like that happens again at night. I would take the hay rack down and certainly see the vet today for a thorough check over.

Hay rack has gone! New one being delivered today, she wasn't happy about it being taken away either, kept thumping at us.

Last night, I was convinced she was just going to drift away, probably a bit stupid tbh and I feel guilty now in case she was in pain, but I didn't want to stress her anymore so was just trying to keep her comfortable. Next time, in hindsight, it would be straight to the vets though.

She's running around the living room now, playing chase with my girlfriend! She seems to be improving hour by hour.

We have a vets appointment this afternoon.

Can you make sure that her rear end is free from worms which could also be maggots from fly strike. This is an emergency if they are maggots as they can quickly eat their way into the rabbit's flesh with fatal results.

She would be better with a litter tray with hay in it rather than a hayrack so she can sit and chew the hay while she goes to the toilet.

If she has pin worms your Vet will possibly prescribe a course of Panacur which will clear them up.

Can you make sure that her rear end is free from worms which could also be maggots from fly strike. This is an emergency if they are maggots as they can quickly eat their way into the rabbit's flesh with fatal results.

She would be better with a litter tray with hay in it rather than a hayrack so she can sit and chew the hay while she goes to the toilet.

If she has pin worms your Vet will possibly prescribe a course of Panacur which will clear them up.

I've checked last night and this morning to ensure that there was no maggots. 100% worms, and 99.9% certain they're pinworms - young family member had them about 18 months ago.

She has a litter tray and a hayrack... probably doesn't need both I know. We've bought her a box to put the hay in now, with "jail-bar's", on the front of it, so no more ability to climb in it!

pin worm in rabbits are different to human pin worms and the majority of rabbits do have pin worms...they cannot be transmitted to humans or vice versa. I would treat with a 3 day course of panacur and clean the whole cage really well. They may return though and if there are only a few then I wouldn't worry. If there are a lot in the poo then it may suggest bunny is run down and it's best then to treat the worms.

Back