• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Testing out my DSLR... (bunny pic heavy!)

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Got a new DSLR recently! I love wildlife photography but I'm really keen on getting into pet photography. SO obviously had to take lots of photos of the buns for practice! Please let me know your opinion!

Flo (the poser)
tumblr_ntmy15JtjZ1tirn5fo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ntmy76ZQ8J1tirn5fo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ntmyi3nluj1tirn5fo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ntmylcrnxf1tirn5fo1_540.jpg

tumblr_ntmzgs628I1tirn5fo1_540.jpg

Odie & Zelda (black bunnies turn out to be difficult to photograph so these are not as good!)
tumblr_ntmyudYJZ41tirn5fo1_540.jpg

Zelda
tumblr_ntmyxnOsqr1tirn5fo1_540.jpg

Last edited:
increase the shutter speed a little when you are working in bright sunlight (bunny pictures) and slow it down a little when working in slightly darker conditions. The odie & zelda photo is heavily over exposed, but nice starts :)

What camera do you have?

increase the shutter speed a little when you are working in bright sunlight (bunny pictures) and slow it down a little when working in slightly darker conditions. The odie & zelda photo is heavily over exposed, but nice starts :)

What camera do you have?

Cool thank you for the advice! I'm just starting out so just trying to get used to the camera. Yeah I know they were really over exposed I haven't had chance to photograph them since.
It's a Nikon D3200 with Nikkor 18-55mm and Sigma 70-300mm lenses.

nice :)

Great camera and lense kit :)

I do all mine with a Canon EOS 600d w/ 18-135mm lense for standard, i do have a 270mm lense too but rarely use it.

You'll get great shots - try not to use auto mode, it'll spoil you - learn what each setting does etc, take the same picture with about 3 or 4 different settings so you can see what they do to affect the shot :)

Most importantly, beautiful bunnies and i love the hair style on the sooty fawn lionhead!!

I know nothing about cameras, but they are lovely photos :love:

Thank you!! :D

nice :)

Great camera and lense kit :)

I do all mine with a Canon EOS 600d w/ 18-135mm lense for standard, i do have a 270mm lense too but rarely use it.

You'll get great shots - try not to use auto mode, it'll spoil you - learn what each setting does etc, take the same picture with about 3 or 4 different settings so you can see what they do to affect the shot :)

Most importantly, beautiful bunnies and i love the hair style on the sooty fawn lionhead!!

Thank you for the tips! I will have to play with it when the weather improves! I have the larger lens as I like bird photography so it comes in handy!
Aw thanks they are little cuties :love: Haha yeah she's a crossbreed - her hairdo didn't grow until later! :lol:

i will put up a few photos i took when Ginger was still here, she was very photogenic, that said, so is Biscuit, when he wants to be photographed...!

You'll get great shots - try not to use auto mode, it'll spoil you
Guilty! I use no-flash auto ALL THE TIME! And I've had a DSLR since 2009 so no excuse :) I used to have a Nikon D40 (entry-level in that range) but upgraded to a second-hand D90 in 2012 and I can see the difference.

Having said that, I do use Shutter Priority an awful lot! And I carry a little Samsung compact around with me for everyday 'ooh, must shoot!' photography. I rarely use my phone cameras.

I'm guilty of 'auto' too and I've done a few courses! I have to admit though if I'm not rushing around then I do use shutter/apeture priority settings.

Can't wait to get the girls in their aviary so I can get more pictures of them.

i used to be an auto or shutter/aperture priority guy too - however, for the past 2 years my camera hasnt come off of manual control :) I love the power/control i have over the shots i take and now i have learnt how it all works, i love how i can change a shot so easily.

One of the courses I did we were taught full manual but for 'speed' of normal shooting rather in a studio or having oodles of time to get the 'perfect' shot they advised semi manual and I have to agree!

Ultimately how the shot is taken makes it no more perfect than the person viewing it, some of my favourite shotsbhave been taken on days out where due to timings I've been on fully automatic. I've come across some real 'manual snobs' over the years who will dismiss anything that hasn't been taken manually, for someone relatively new to dslr's they do nothing to help/support/encourage.

At the end the day if you're happy with the image you've taken who cares what happened inbetween seeing the image with your eyes and what you see on screen/paper.

I do tend to use auto! It can be difficult to change settings with the buns as they don't hold positions too long!

Looking good!

I want a DSLR one day. Have to make do with my high-end bridge for now though. :)

I just recently changed over from a bridge - they are brill cameras and require less effort than DSLRs haha :lol:

Back