• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Azopt Eye Drops - Sleepier? ?

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Cody is on Azopt drops 3 times a day for his glaucoma which has helped loads and will hopefully be reduced to twice or once a day. Cody is sleeping more or i will find him lying stretched out relaxing more and i was wondering if anyone had experienced their bun being sleeper using these drops. He is still in great. form ootherwise and is eating and pooping well. He is also now down to twice a week depocillin injections for his ear infection which he has recovered well from.

Cody is on Azopt drops 3 times a day for his glaucoma which has helped loads and will hopefully be reduced to twice or once a day. Cody is sleeping more or i will find him lying stretched out relaxing more and i was wondering if anyone had experienced their bun being sleeper using these drops. He is still in great. form ootherwise and is eating and pooping well. He is also now down to twice a week depocillin injections for his ear infection which he has recovered well from.

It is an indicated side effect, but a rare one. Perhaps he's experiencing a bit of blurred vision and it makes him feel a bit dizzy? I'm glad he's eating and pooing OK .... Also, good to hear the news about his ear infection!

Hi, my bunny isn't on those particular eye drops.. But has been on 5 others, from being on different ones, we have also seen a couple of side affects and when on 1 particular one, he also became very sleepy & relaxed like you say.. Otherwise absolutely fine. We just thought he was more relaxed and happier, which was fab news but when telling our vet, he said hmmm just keep an eye on him as it may be causing him to be slightly disorientated, therefore feels safer lying down. When we changed drops, he became much more active. So it could be he was getting better.. But it could well have been that the eye drops was making him blurred.

Sorry as I know this doesn't help. But just to let you know I've been in a similar situation, but we was treating eye ulcers x

Yeah i did read it was a rare side effect. He seems happy in himself which is good and eats EVERYTHING i put in front of him . I have just looked out in the garden and he is just now lying on the concrete pavement stretched out and seemingly half sleeping. He does this and then 10 mins later he will be on the grass eatting again. It's a bit like mild bunny narcolepsy!

Ruthy that's very interesting . I will defo mention to the vet next week. As like Mighty Max says i would hate to think of him disorientated or dizzy. i had followed ur wee man's story about his legs for a long time and was so pleased to see how well he recovered. I know u r treating him for his ulcers . How r they now ?

Ruthy that's very interesting . I will defo mention to the vet next week. As like Mighty Max says i would hate to think of him disorientated or dizzy. i had followed ur wee man's story about his legs for a long time and was so pleased to see how well he recovered. I know u r treating him for his ulcers . How r they now ?

Hi Nickybunny, no problem! I hope Cody is okay and has a speedy recovery. Aw thank you so much, yeah he's doing really well thanks! He ended up going for an eye keratotomy operation and has been on another mix of eye drops. In the last 2 weeks we have seen a real improvement which is brilliant, the actual ulcers are much smaller thankfully. We are going to continue giving the drops along with anti-inflammatorys so we have our fingers crossed within the next couple of weeks they should be gone! But now he is starting to get a build up of wax in his ears.. So we are also trying to sort that! But thanks for asking xx

Flip he has had a rough journey poor Harvey hasn't he but at least now he is well out the other side. Glad the operation has been successful. I am sure getting his ears sorted will be easy compared to everything else he has been through. He is soo lucky to have u as him mum.

Flip he has had a rough journey poor Harvey hasn't he but at least now he is well out the other side. Glad the operation has been successful. I am sure getting his ears sorted will be easy compared to everything else he has been through. He is soo lucky to have u as him mum.

Aww thank you so much.. That means a lot!! Good luck and sending vibes to flip xx

So spoke to vet yesterday. She said to reduce eye drops to twice a day until Codys review on 16th September. So he only had two doses yesterday and is still sleepy this morning. I wonder will it take a while for the drugs to reduce in his system? I think they plan to reduce him to once a day if pressure remains stable. Is there any health risk to him being so sleepy like this?? Will the once a day reduce the side effects ??

Back