• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Piriton dose - does it sound like I've got this right?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hello again :oops:
Sorry to start another thread today, but I just wanted to check to make sure I've got this right.
Went back to the vet again after the replies on here about Benadryl possibly being dangerous for Lunar and he told me to use Piritin instead. He said she needs 0.3mg three times a day, but based his original estimate on how much to give her on it being 10ml = 1mg. It's actually 5ml = 2mg. So went back for a third time after buying it. He wrote this down for me and stuck it on the box:

2els189.jpg

I didn't speak to him directly this time, the receptionist went in and spoke to him, brought it out and explained it to me.
The way I understood it and the way I read this she should have 1ml three times a day? Does that sound right? Seems like quite a lot for a little bunny (she's app 4 months old and is a lionhead)
Sorry if I just sound stupid. I'm very tired today and my brain isn't quite working at 100% :lol::oops:

Last edited:
I don't know what your bunny weighs . but if I remember rightly the dose is 1ml per kg up to three times a day

I actually just got back from my vet she gave me info on chlorpheniramine.
Her reference for rabbits indicated dosage to be 0.2-0.4mg/kg every 12hrs. My rabbit is a bit over 2 kg so I can give 0.4-0.8mg. ie. 1-2mls.

EDIT: Sorry, you probably didnt need this info now. I didnt take note of date you posted. The thread came up when I did forum search on Piriton.

Back