• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just seen small white thread worms on rabbits dropping, urgent advice needed please!!

Sue&Smokes

Young Bun
Hi,

My rabbit Jacob was ill last night, off his food and this morning have seen diahorrea and loose droppings. On a closer look in the litter tray, have just seen some small like white transparent thread worms!!! I've quickly googled on the medi-rabbit website also and am wondering if this is 'roundworm' ???? Am puzzled how he's got this, he's indoor bunny by the way. Any info on what this might be and how he got it, would be appreciated. I'm about to call my vet, but would also appreciate advice on what the best treatment for this would be. I'm hoping the good vet will be there today, but sometimes is a different one, so urgent advice on this would be great!!

Many thanks!!

Sue

Hi,

My rabbit Jacob was ill last night, off his food and this morning have seen diahorrea and loose droppings. On a closer look in the litter tray, have just seen some small like white transparent thread worms!!! I've quickly googled on the medi-rabbit website also and am wondering if this is 'roundworm' ???? Am puzzled how he's got this, he's indoor bunny by the way. Any info on what this might be and how he got it, would be appreciated. I'm about to call my vet, but would also appreciate advice on what the best treatment for this would be. I'm hoping the good vet will be there today, but sometimes is a different one, so urgent advice on this would be great!!

Many thanks!!

Sue

Don't worry Sue :wave:

They are probably roundworms or pinworms, and the treatment is Panacur for 9 days.

Treatment for worms is panacur, but do take him to the vet and get him thoroughly checked, as small white creatures in litter trays could also be maggots and buns with diarrhea are at high risk of flystrike in this weather.

Hopefully it's just worms as these are easily treated. Hope he feels better soon

I've had Jacob to the vet this afternoon and he has indeed prescribed Panacur for the next 9 days!! I also took his bonded companion Magic as I worried for her too, so we are treating them both!!

We think they were pinworms, but the vet didn't seem to think they were that common in rabbits, it's the first time I've had a case of it here!!

Fingers crossed the treatment will clear it up in a few days, many thanks for the quick replies!!!

I've had Jacob to the vet this afternoon and he has indeed prescribed Panacur for the next 9 days!! I also took his bonded companion Magic as I worried for her too, so we are treating them both!!

We think they were pinworms, but the vet didn't seem to think they were that common in rabbits, it's the first time I've had a case of it here!!

Fingers crossed the treatment will clear it up in a few days, many thanks for the quick replies!!!

Yes, I thought pinworms were more likely :D

The treatment will clear them up, no problem!

My house bunny Cookie got these somehow. In all my years of owning bunnies I had never came across them before either. She was passing a lot of live ones in perfectly formed bumbles, really truly quite gross! I never saw them again after a 9 day dose of panacur.

My house bunny Cookie got these somehow. In all my years of owning bunnies I had never came across them before either. She was passing a lot of live ones in perfectly formed bumbles, really truly quite gross! I never saw them again after a 9 day dose of panacur.

Hi, yes, Jacob has been passing live ones too, I thought it was gross too!! That's reassuring to know you never saw them again after the panacur treatment!! Thanks for letting me know! x

Back