• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination help please

2Angels

Young Bun
My rabbit is due his booster in mid September. How soon before this is definitely safe to get it done?

My rabbit is due his booster in mid September. How soon before this is definitely safe to get it done?

There is no way anyone but a vet can give you advice as to whether it's definitely safe. There are slight risks to anything, including vaccination.

Some vets advocate vaccinating early, but the decision will be yours.

Some vets will not be allowing early vaccination due to the supply problems. I know that some will only be vaccinating those who are due or overdue to ensure that the bunnies most in need receive any vaccines that they currently have left.

So calling your vet to discuss this would be the best way forward. They may be organising mass vaccination clinics at particular times and on special days anyway.

Thanks for the replies.
Although I appreciate that there is also a supply issue. This was a general question just wondering if others had got it done early, as regardless of the supply issue, I am unable to get it done at the time it is due so it will either need to be done early or late.

Thanks for the replies.
Although I appreciate that there is also a supply issue. This was a general question just wondering if others had got it done early, as regardless of the supply issue, I am unable to get it done at the time it is due so it will either need to be done early or late.

I have had Rabbits who were vaccinated a month early with no adverse effects. Some Exotics Vets were already questioning if the vaccine actually remains effective for a full 12 months. One Exotics Vet believed that it was not as he was seeing a number of Rabbits with Myxomatosis last year who had been Vaccinated about 10 months prior to falling ill. Having said that, all the 'official' data for the vaccine still states that it gives 12 months protection. Your Vet should be able to give you the best advice about your specific situation.

Thanks for the replies.

You're Welcome!

As I mentioned, some vets believe it's best to get vaccinated early because of efficacy issues. However, MSD have tested and their position is that the vaccine is effective for 13 months. That's all the testing they did.

I think the supply issue may well make up your mind for you.

I have had Rabbits who were vaccinated a month early with no adverse effects. Some Exotics Vets were already questioning if the vaccine actually remains effective for a full 12 months. One Exotics Vet believed that it was not as he was seeing a number of Rabbits with Myxomatosis last year who had been Vaccinated about 10 months prior to falling ill. Having said that, all the 'official' data for the vaccine still states that it gives 12 months protection. Your Vet should be able to give you the best advice about your specific situation.

Thank you, will speak with the vet on Monday

You're Welcome!

As I mentioned, some vets believe it's best to get vaccinated early because of efficacy issues. However, MSD have tested and their position is that the vaccine is effective for 13 months. That's all the testing they did.

I think the supply issue may well make up your mind for you.

^^ this - that's what I was trying to say

Back